Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in country’s history | Ebola News

    August 17, 2026

    Ariana Grande brings out Cynthia Erivo amid performance in London

    August 17, 2026

    Trump says US to ‘substantially reduce’ military drills with South Korea | Donald Trump News

    August 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Login
    22Media22Media
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Pakistan News
      • World News
      • Amazing News
      • Only On 22
    • Sports
    • Bussiness
    • Innovation
      • Health & Sciences
      • Technology
    • Culture
      • Crime & Justice
      • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Magazines
    • Weather
    • Video
    • Live
    22Media22Media
    Home»News»World News»Trump says US to ‘substantially reduce’ military drills with South Korea | Donald Trump News
    World News

    Trump says US to ‘substantially reduce’ military drills with South Korea | Donald Trump News

    22febdm@gmail.comBy 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 17, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    US president says he’s ‘not happy’ about the drills, citing his ‘very good relationship’ with North Korea’s Kim Jong Un.

    Published On 17 Aug 202617 Aug 2026

    US President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to scale back joint military exercises with close ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

    Trump said in a social media post on Sunday that the exercises, due to start on Monday, are costly and “send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile” to North Korea, which he said “has been unthreatening and respectful” while Trump has been in the White House.

    Recommended Stories

    list of 4 itemsend of list

    “Based on my very good relationship with Kim Jong Un, of North Korea, I am not happy with the fact that the United States has, long ago, agreed to participate in Joint Military Exercises with South Korea,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.

    He also mentioned Seoul’s stance on the US-Israel war on Iran.

    “I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, ‘No thanks!’” he said.

    Trump added that it was too late to cancel the drills, so he had ordered Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth to “substantially reduce” them.

    When asked about Trump’s post, South Korea’s Ministry of Defence said the military exercises would “proceed as previously notified and scheduled”.

    The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield drills, scheduled to run for 11 days from August 17 to 27, will involve 18,000 South Korean soldiers. They are a regular summer fixture for South Korea’s armed forces and their US allies, designed to prepare them for defence against the nuclear-armed North Korea, which is battle-hardened from its involvement in Russia’s war on Ukraine.

    Pyongyang has always been angered by the exercises, saying they are rehearsals for an invasion.

    Last week, North Korea denounced the latest drills as a provocation that heightens tensions on the Korean Peninsula.

    A spokesperson for North Korea’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Friday that the US-Japan-South Korea military cooperation is turning into a nuclear alliance, and Pyongyang will respond to a new level of threat with a new level of deterrent.

    The following day, Trump posted a photo of himself standing next to Kim and wrote that the two leaders got along great, “despite the unfriendly look on this particular picture”.

    During his first term, Trump met Kim three times.

    This is not the first time that the US president has sought to end the exercises with South Korea. After a historic 2018 summit in Singapore with Kim, he called the military drills “expensive” and “provocative“.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    22febdm@gmail.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in country’s history | Ebola News

    August 17, 2026

    Hundreds of migrants arrested near Ceuta border in latest crackdown | Migration News

    August 16, 2026

    South Korea’s refusal to fight against Iran prompts Trump to drastically cut joint war games

    August 16, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    World News

    Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in country’s history | Ebola News

    By 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 17, 20260

    A top UN official says ‘speed, scale, and solidarity’ needed ‘before this virus gets even…

    Ariana Grande brings out Cynthia Erivo amid performance in London

    August 17, 2026

    Trump says US to ‘substantially reduce’ military drills with South Korea | Donald Trump News

    August 17, 2026

    Johnny Depp in talks to return as Jack Sparrow for ‘Pirates of the Caribbean 6’

    August 17, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    22Media
    Facebook Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    © 2026 22Media. Designed by AleemSoft Hub.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?