Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Trump says US to ‘substantially reduce’ military drills with South Korea | Donald Trump News

    August 17, 2026

    Johnny Depp in talks to return as Jack Sparrow for ‘Pirates of the Caribbean 6’

    August 17, 2026

    Hundreds of migrants arrested near Ceuta border in latest crackdown | Migration News

    August 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Login
    22Media22Media
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Pakistan News
      • World News
      • Amazing News
      • Only On 22
    • Sports
    • Bussiness
    • Innovation
      • Health & Sciences
      • Technology
    • Culture
      • Crime & Justice
      • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Magazines
    • Weather
    • Video
    • Live
    22Media22Media
    Home»News»World News»Hundreds of migrants arrested near Ceuta border in latest crackdown | Migration News
    World News

    Hundreds of migrants arrested near Ceuta border in latest crackdown | Migration News

    22febdm@gmail.comBy 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 16, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Nearly 300 migrants and 61 alleged facilitators detained during mass migration attempt.

    By Reuters and The Associated Press

    Published On 16 Aug 202616 Aug 2026

    Moroccan security forces have arrested hundreds of migrants trying to reach the Spanish exclave of Ceuta by land and sea as authorities tightened security along the border following calls for a new mass crossing.

    Moroccan state broadcaster Medi 1 TV said 294 migrants from sub-Saharan Africa were arrested on Saturday while attempting to enter Ceuta. Authorities also arrested 61 Moroccans accused of facilitating the migration attempts, the broadcaster reported.

    Recommended Stories

    list of 4 itemsend of list

    The latest attempt comes two weeks after more than 72,000 would-be migrants, driven by poverty and misinformation, rushed towards Ceuta in one of the deadliest migration crises to hit the region. At least 90 people died on both sides of the border, according to official numbers, while human rights groups reported higher figures.

    The attempted crossings followed a surge in social media posts calling on people to make their way to Ceuta, a Spanish city on Morocco’s northern coast.

    In response, Moroccan and Spanish authorities beefed up security presence in the area.

    ‘We don’t want to go back to Morocco’

    On Sunday, ‌hundreds of migrants staged a protest on a popular urban beach, urging Spanish authorities to ⁠grant them asylum instead of sending them back to Morocco.

    They were among the estimated 5,000 to 8,000 who remained in Ceuta after the mass border crossing two weeks ago.

    With the city’s resources overstretched, most migrants were living in precarious conditions on Trampolin beach or the city’s outskirts while awaiting a chance to journey on to continental Europe.

    “We’re sleeping next to ⁠the sea, with cold and bad smells. We’re suffering a lot,” Ayoub Elarroud from Morocco’s Tetouan told the Reuters news agency, adding that police were blocking them from going to the city centre.

    The protesters held up Spanish flags and banners reading, “We don’t want to go back to Morocco” and “We are also human”, while chanting slogans such as “We’re tired” or “We need a solution”.

    Earlier this week, Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska said migrants who had entered irregularly would not be allowed to stay in the exclave, travel to mainland Spain or obtain legal status, except in rare cases involving extreme vulnerability.

    A senior Moroccan diplomat previously told The Associated Press news agency that more than 20,000 Moroccan security personnel are deployed along the border with Ceuta each day, at a cost of hundreds of millions of dollars.

    Thousands of migrants from across Africa and beyond travel to Morocco each year, fleeing conflict, poverty and instability, and seeking a route into Europe.

    Many attempt to reach Ceuta or Melilla, another Spanish exclave on Morocco’s northern coast, hoping eventually to make their way to mainland Spain for better economic opportunities.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    22febdm@gmail.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Trump says US to ‘substantially reduce’ military drills with South Korea | Donald Trump News

    August 17, 2026

    South Korea’s refusal to fight against Iran prompts Trump to drastically cut joint war games

    August 16, 2026

    What could stop Israeli settler attacks on Palestinians? | Israel-Palestine conflict News

    August 16, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    World News

    Trump says US to ‘substantially reduce’ military drills with South Korea | Donald Trump News

    By 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 17, 20260

    US president says he’s ‘not happy’ about the drills, citing his ‘very good relationship’ with…

    Johnny Depp in talks to return as Jack Sparrow for ‘Pirates of the Caribbean 6’

    August 17, 2026

    Hundreds of migrants arrested near Ceuta border in latest crackdown | Migration News

    August 16, 2026

    South Korea’s refusal to fight against Iran prompts Trump to drastically cut joint war games

    August 16, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    22Media
    Facebook Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    © 2026 22Media. Designed by AleemSoft Hub.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?