Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Zambia incumbent takes early election lead as opposition alleges armed raid | Elections News

    August 17, 2026

    Diplo reveals secret birth of one year old daughter

    August 17, 2026

    Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in country’s history | Ebola News

    August 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Login
    22Media22Media
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Pakistan News
      • World News
      • Amazing News
      • Only On 22
    • Sports
    • Bussiness
    • Innovation
      • Health & Sciences
      • Technology
    • Culture
      • Crime & Justice
      • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Magazines
    • Weather
    • Video
    • Live
    22Media22Media
    Home»Innovation»Technology»More than 17 million Afghans face acute hunger this winter, WFP warns
    Technology

    More than 17 million Afghans face acute hunger this winter, WFP warns

    22febdm@gmail.comBy 22febdm@gmail.comDecember 17, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    IPC report shows acute hunger in Afghanistan has risen by 3 million, reaching over 17.8 million, up from 14.8 million last year.





    • Web Desk




    • December 17, 2025

    The United Nations World Food Program (WFP) has warned that over 17 million people in Afghanistan are facing severe food insecurity this winter, as hunger and malnutrition continue to worsen across the country. Funding cuts are hampering the delivery of life-saving assistance, the agency added.

    According to the latest Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) report, around three million more Afghans are now experiencing acute hunger compared with last year, when 14.8 million people were affected. Child malnutrition is also expected to rise, with nearly four million children projected to suffer from severe malnutrition over the coming year. WFP cautioned that with malnutrition already at its highest levels in decades and essential services underfunded, access to treatment is becoming increasingly limited.

    “WFP has been raising alarms for months about the growing humanitarian crisis in Afghanistan, and the latest data confirms our worst fears,” said John Aylieff, WFP’s country director in Afghanistan. “Families are skipping meals for days and taking extreme measures to survive. Child deaths are increasing, and the situation could worsen in the coming months.”

    Afghanistan faces a harsh winter amid overlapping crises, including drought affecting roughly half the country, widespread job losses, a weakened economy, and recent earthquakes that have left thousands homeless.

    Forced returns from neighboring countries are adding further strain. Since the start of the year, approximately 2.5 million Afghans have been sent back from Pakistan and Iran, many arriving malnourished and with limited resources. Nearly as many more are expected to return in 2026.

    At the same time, humanitarian funding for Afghanistan has decreased, leaving millions without the assistance that has previously helped curb extreme hunger and malnutrition.

    “We need to bring Afghanistan’s crisis back into the headlines to ensure the most vulnerable receive the attention they need,” Aylieff said, urging renewed international support.

    For the first time in decades, WFP said it cannot launch a large-scale winter response while maintaining nationwide emergency food and nutrition programs. The agency urgently requires $468 million to provide life-saving food assistance to six million of Afghanistan’s most vulnerable people throughout the winter.

     

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    22febdm@gmail.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    JI leader raises power, tax, agriculture issues at Peshawar sit-in

    August 16, 2026

    Mian Iftikhar Hussain rejects petroleum price hike, calls for levy abolition

    August 16, 2026

    Shahid Afridi’s dog Max found safe at home

    August 16, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    World News

    Zambia incumbent takes early election lead as opposition alleges armed raid | Elections News

    By 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 17, 20260

    President Hakainde Hichilema appears on course for outright win as observers cite violence and a…

    Diplo reveals secret birth of one year old daughter

    August 17, 2026

    Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in country’s history | Ebola News

    August 17, 2026

    Ariana Grande brings out Cynthia Erivo amid performance in London

    August 17, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    22Media
    Facebook Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    © 2026 22Media. Designed by AleemSoft Hub.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?