Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Minnie Driver breaks silence on her ‘near-death experience’

    August 20, 2026

    Funeral for 50 Palestinians recovered from Gaza rubble | Gaza News

    August 20, 2026

    Parliament passes bills related to military, National Command Authority

    August 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Login
    22Media22Media
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Pakistan News
      • World News
      • Amazing News
      • Only On 22
    • Sports
    • Bussiness
    • Innovation
      • Health & Sciences
      • Technology
    • Culture
      • Crime & Justice
      • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Magazines
    • Weather
    • Video
    • Live
    22Media22Media
    Home»News»World News»Huge power outage in Cuba leaves millions in darkness | Business and Economy News
    World News

    Huge power outage in Cuba leaves millions in darkness | Business and Economy News

    22febdm@gmail.comBy 22febdm@gmail.comMarch 15, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Latest grid collapse follows a string of nationwide blackouts in recent months.

    Cuba’s national power grid has collapsed once again, leaving millions of people without electricity.

    The grid failed on Friday evening about 8:15pm (00:15 GMT) after a breakdown at Diezmero substation in the capital, Havana, kicked off a chain reaction that shut down power generation across the island, according to officials at operator Union Electrica (UNE).

    At sunrise on Saturday, UNE said it was generating only a trickle of electricity – about 225 MW, or less than 10 percent of total demand. Authorities said parallel circuits were helping provide electricity to key sectors, such as hospitals.

    “Several provinces have parallel circuits and generator units are starting to be synchronised” with the national grid, Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel said on X.

    The island of 9.7 million inhabitants had already suffered three nationwide blackouts in the final months of 2024, two of them lasting several days.

    While the latest grid collapse is the first one this year, it also comes as the island battles one of its biggest economic crises in 30 years. Hit by United States sanctions, Cuba has for years relied on subsidised Venezuelan oil, but that supply is increasingly precarious as the government in Caracas grapples with its own economic problems.

    “Right now, no one knows when the power will come back on,” resident Abel Bonne told the Reuters news agency on Havana’s Malecon waterfront boulevard early on Saturday.

    People in Havana have already been living with near-daily power cuts of four or five hours, while those outside the capital have been facing rolling blackouts that peaked at 20 hours a day in recent weeks.

    “My God, this is terrible, we’re in for a dark weekend,” Karen Gutierrez, a 32-year-old ice cream seller in Havana, told the AFP news agency.

    Andres Lopez, a 67-year-old resident of the eastern province of Holguin, added that he had not been expecting yet another blackout so soon.

    “It really bugs me,” he said. “Let’s see when they get it [the power] back on.”

    Cuba blames its economic woes on a Cold War-era US trade embargo, a web of laws and regulations that complicate financial transactions and the acquisition of essentials such as fuel and spare parts.

    US President Donald Trump recently tightened sanctions on the island’s communist-run government, pledging to restore a “tough” policy towards the longtime US foe.

    Meanwhile, to make up for its electricity shortfall, Cuba is racing to install a series of at least 55 solar farms with Chinese technology by the end of this year.

    Local authorities have said these facilities will generate some 1,200 MW of power, about 12 percent of the national total.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    22febdm@gmail.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Funeral for 50 Palestinians recovered from Gaza rubble | Gaza News

    August 20, 2026

    Bangladesh’s government under pressure as youth demand jobs

    August 20, 2026

    Israel is betting on Islamophobia to save its standing in the West | Islamophobia

    August 20, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    Technology

    Minnie Driver breaks silence on her ‘near-death experience’

    By 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 20, 20260

    Minnie Driver, who was recently involved in a “really bad car accident,” has shared an…

    Funeral for 50 Palestinians recovered from Gaza rubble | Gaza News

    August 20, 2026

    Parliament passes bills related to military, National Command Authority

    August 20, 2026

    Rain delays start of Day 2 in England-Pakistan first Test

    August 20, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    22Media
    Facebook Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    © 2026 22Media. Designed by AleemSoft Hub.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?