Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    ‘Truth or fiction’: US trial of Tupac Shakur’s accused killer begins | Courts News

    August 17, 2026

    Taylor Swift says she can’t ‘stop listening’ to Phoebe Bridgers’ new album

    August 17, 2026

    Palestinian American reunites with family under siege in West Bank | Israel-Palestine conflict

    August 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Login
    22Media22Media
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Pakistan News
      • World News
      • Amazing News
      • Only On 22
    • Sports
    • Bussiness
    • Innovation
      • Health & Sciences
      • Technology
    • Culture
      • Crime & Justice
      • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Magazines
    • Weather
    • Video
    • Live
    22Media22Media
    Home»News»World News»Federal prosecutor blames Trump administration pressure for resignation | Donald Trump News
    World News

    Federal prosecutor blames Trump administration pressure for resignation | Donald Trump News

    22febdm@gmail.comBy 22febdm@gmail.comFebruary 19, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Another top federal prosecutor has resigned from the United States Department of Justice amid pressure from the administration of President Donald Trump.

    The Reuters news agency reported that Denise Cheung left her post on Tuesday, after leading the criminal division of the US Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia.

    In her resignation letter, obtained by several US news agencies, she highlighted her long career in civil service.

    “I have been proud to serve at the U.S. Department of Justice and this office for over 24 years,” Cheung wrote.

    “I took an oath of office to support and defend the Constitution, and I have executed this duty faithfully.”

    But she explained she was ordered to resign after she refused to launch a criminal probe she felt was not merited.

    The requested probe had to do with a contract awarded under the administration of Trump’s predecessor and former election rival, Democrat Joe Biden.

    Cheung wrote that she had been asked to launch a grand jury investigation into the legality of the contract. But she indicated that, after research, she found no evidence to justify such a probe.

    Then she was asked to seek an asset freeze, preventing funds from being disbursed under the contract.

    So Cheung sent the bank involved a letter “recommending a 30-day administrative freeze on certain assets”.

    But officials in the Trump administration pushed her to send a second letter, specifying that the request came as part of a criminal investigation.

    Cheung identified Ed Martin, the interim head of the US Attorney’s Office in Washington, DC, as one of the officials giving her orders. She addressed her letter to him.

    “When I explained that the quantum of evidence did not support that action, you stated that you believed that there was sufficient evidence,” she wrote.

    “Based upon the evidence I have reviewed, I still do not believe there is sufficient evidence to issue the letter you described, including sufficient evidence to tell the bank there is probable cause to seize the particular accounts identified.”

    Trump announced on Monday that he had nominated Martin to take on the US attorney role permanently.

    A far-right activist, Martin had helped raise money for rioters involved in the attack on the US Capitol on January 6, 2021, which was led by Trump supporters.

    He also played a role in organising a “Stop the Steal” rally, which spread the false claim that Trump’s defeat in 2020 was due to voter fraud.

    Cheung said her actions were necessary to uphold the standards of the US attorney’s office. “All that we do is rooted in following the facts and the law and complying with our moral, ethical and legal obligations,” she wrote.

    Her departure on Tuesday was the latest in a series of resignations from the Justice Department, as prosecutors denounce actions they consider unethical under Trump.

    Last week, at least seven Justice Department lawyers quit their posts after the Trump administration called for them to drop corruption charges against New York City Mayor Eric Adams.

    Trump and Adams had recently had a rapprochement, with the mayor agreeing to participate in the president’s immigration initiatives.

    Several of the Justice Department lawyers indicated that the decision to drop the charges against Adams was politically motivated, rather than based on the evidence.

    “Any assistant U.S. attorney would know that our laws and traditions do not allow using the prosecutorial power to influence other citizens, much less elected officials, in this way,” the lead prosecutor, Hagan Scotten, said in his resignation letter.

    “If no lawyer within earshot of the President is willing to give him that advice, then I expect you will eventually find someone who is enough of a fool, or enough of a coward, to file your motion. But it was never going to be me.”

    The acting commissioner of the Social Security Administration, Michelle King, also resigned over the weekend in the wake of attempts by the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE) to access sensitive personal information.

    On Tuesday, in a news conference from his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida, Trump briefly addressed King’s departure, implying she had not willingly resigned.

    “When you fire somebody, they always resign, and then they say, ‘We resigned,’” he said, accusing the Social Security Administration of “massive fraud”. He did not offer evidence to substantiate that claim, though.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    22febdm@gmail.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    ‘Truth or fiction’: US trial of Tupac Shakur’s accused killer begins | Courts News

    August 17, 2026

    Palestinian American reunites with family under siege in West Bank | Israel-Palestine conflict

    August 17, 2026

    Americans turn against Trump as Iran war drags on, approval hits presidency low

    August 17, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    World News

    ‘Truth or fiction’: US trial of Tupac Shakur’s accused killer begins | Courts News

    By 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 17, 20260

    Prosecutors claim Duane Davis was the ‘on-site commander’ in the murder of Shakur, who died…

    Taylor Swift says she can’t ‘stop listening’ to Phoebe Bridgers’ new album

    August 17, 2026

    Palestinian American reunites with family under siege in West Bank | Israel-Palestine conflict

    August 17, 2026

    Pakistan rejects Indian home minister’s allegations linking Islamabad to arrests in India

    August 17, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    22Media
    Facebook Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    © 2026 22Media. Designed by AleemSoft Hub.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?