Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Minnie Driver breaks silence on her ‘near-death experience’

    August 20, 2026

    Funeral for 50 Palestinians recovered from Gaza rubble | Gaza News

    August 20, 2026

    Parliament passes bills related to military, National Command Authority

    August 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Login
    22Media22Media
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Pakistan News
      • World News
      • Amazing News
      • Only On 22
    • Sports
    • Bussiness
    • Innovation
      • Health & Sciences
      • Technology
    • Culture
      • Crime & Justice
      • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Magazines
    • Weather
    • Video
    • Live
    22Media22Media
    Home»News»World News»China restaurant chain refunds thousands after diner urinates in hotpot
    World News

    China restaurant chain refunds thousands after diner urinates in hotpot

    22febdm@gmail.comBy 22febdm@gmail.comMarch 13, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Waiters serve customers at a Haidilao hotpot restaurant in Beijing, China October 11, 2021. — Reuters
    Waiters serve customers at a Haidilao hotpot restaurant in Beijing, China October 11, 2021. — Reuters

    SHANGHAI: One of China’s biggest restaurant chains has promised to refund thousands of customers after footage of a patron urinating into a simmering hotpot went viral online, triggering a public outcry.

    The clip, filmed last month, appeared to show a young man standing on a table at a Haidilao branch in Shanghai urinating into a vat of boiling broth.

    The video sparked an immediate backlash on social media, with users venting anger and disgust at the brazen breach of food safety at one of the country’s most popular restaurant chains.

    Haidilao confirmed the incident in a social media post on Wednesday, saying it was “extremely sorry” and pursuing legal action.

    “In the early hours of February 24, two men urinated into a hotpot after dining in a private room at a Haidilao branch on the Bund in Shanghai,” the company said, referring to the eastern megacity’s ritzy waterfront promenade.

    “As management had never made contingency plans or given training for dealing with this type of incident, staff at our branch were unable to detect any abnormalities at the scene or uphold the safety of the dining environment,” it said.

    The restaurant said it would offer compensation to any customers involved in the store’s over 4,100 orders between February 24 and March 8, equivalent to a full refund plus a lump sum of 10 times that amount.

    A Shanghai police statement said two 17-year-olds, respectively surnamed Tang and Wu, had been placed in “administrative detention”.

    China’s age of criminal responsibility is 16 for most crimes, but can be as low as 12 for major offences like murder.

    Lip-smacking broth

    Beloved in China for its fresh morsels of meat, lip-smacking broth and congenial service, Haidilao has expanded overseas in recent years, with locations in the United States, Japan, Britain and elsewhere.

    But its mea culpa received short shrift on Weibo, where users accused the firm of dragging its feet for weeks before acknowledging its error.

    “Where was this (apology) at the beginning? Wouldn’t it have been better to say this right from the start,” one comment said.

    Others took aim at a previous statement — now seemingly deleted — that blamed “malicious information spreaders” for harming the company’s reputation.

    Food safety scandals were once common in China, where in 2008 tainted milk formula made hundreds of thousands of babies ill and was linked to six deaths.

    The country has made significant improvements since then, but misconduct in the catering industry still crops up.

    A prominent chain of braised chicken restaurants apologised this week after state media revealed unsanitary practices at some of its franchise stores, including the use of rotting ingredients and the recycling of leftover meals.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    22febdm@gmail.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Funeral for 50 Palestinians recovered from Gaza rubble | Gaza News

    August 20, 2026

    Bangladesh’s government under pressure as youth demand jobs

    August 20, 2026

    Israel is betting on Islamophobia to save its standing in the West | Islamophobia

    August 20, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    Technology

    Minnie Driver breaks silence on her ‘near-death experience’

    By 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 20, 20260

    Minnie Driver, who was recently involved in a “really bad car accident,” has shared an…

    Funeral for 50 Palestinians recovered from Gaza rubble | Gaza News

    August 20, 2026

    Parliament passes bills related to military, National Command Authority

    August 20, 2026

    Rain delays start of Day 2 in England-Pakistan first Test

    August 20, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    22Media
    Facebook Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    © 2026 22Media. Designed by AleemSoft Hub.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?