Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    ‘Truth or fiction’: US trial of Tupac Shakur’s accused killer begins | Courts News

    August 17, 2026

    Taylor Swift says she can’t ‘stop listening’ to Phoebe Bridgers’ new album

    August 17, 2026

    Palestinian American reunites with family under siege in West Bank | Israel-Palestine conflict

    August 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Login
    22Media22Media
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Pakistan News
      • World News
      • Amazing News
      • Only On 22
    • Sports
    • Bussiness
    • Innovation
      • Health & Sciences
      • Technology
    • Culture
      • Crime & Justice
      • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Magazines
    • Weather
    • Video
    • Live
    22Media22Media
    Home»News»World News»Brazilian prosecutors charge ex-President Bolsonaro over alleged coup plot | Jair Bolsonaro News
    World News

    Brazilian prosecutors charge ex-President Bolsonaro over alleged coup plot | Jair Bolsonaro News

    22febdm@gmail.comBy 22febdm@gmail.comFebruary 19, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Jair Bolsonaro and dozens of others have been charged over an alleged plot to violently overturn his 2022 election loss.

    Brazilian authorities have charged the country’s far-right former president, Jair Bolsonaro, and dozens of his supporters with attempting to stage a coup to overturn his 2022 election loss, the country’s top prosecutor has announced.

    Prosecutor General Paulo Gonet said on Tuesday that he had filed charges with Brazil’s Supreme Court against Bolsonaro and 33 other people, including some former ministers and an ex-navy chief.

    “The responsibility for acts harmful to the democratic order falls upon a criminal organisation led by Jair Messias Bolsonaro, based on an authoritarian project of power,” the charging document stated.

    Bolsonaro, a former army captain who served as president from 2019 to 2022, is unlikely to be arrested before his trial unless Supreme Court Justice Alexandre de Moraes, who is overseeing the case, deems him a flight risk.

    The indictment marks the first time Brazilian authorities have charged the right-wing populist leader with a crime, and represents a new blow to the 69-year-old, who had been plotting his increasingly unlikely political comeback.

    The charges come following a two-year Brazilian federal police investigation – which concluded in November – into Bolsonaro’s role leading an election-denying movement that culminated in thousands of his supporters rioting in the country’s capital, Brasilia, in January 2023.

    The riots took place a week after leftist President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva took office after narrowly defeating Bolsonaro in the 2022 national election.

    Bolsonaro’s supporters stormed Brazil’s presidential palace, Congress and the Supreme Court in scenes reminiscent of the January 6, 2021 insurrection in Washington, DC, when United States President Donald Trump’s supporters stormed the Capitol building.

    ‘Violent overthrow’

    In their report, published in November, police accused Bolsonaro, along with 36 others, of planning the “violent overthrow of the democratic state”.

    Among the Bolsonaro administration officials also accused of involvement were the head of his Liberal Party, Valdemar Costa Neto, as well as former Defence Minister Walter Braga Netto, ex-national security adviser Augusto Heleno and former Justice Minister Anderson Torres.

    Bolsonaro, who has denied breaking any laws, has labelled allegations against him a politically motivated witch-hunt orchestrated by his opponents.

    Two previous court decisions have blocked Bolsonaro from running for president in 2026, as judges ruled to bar him from holding public office until 2030 over his conduct following the 2022 election.

    Also in November, Brazilian police accused five people of planning to assassinate President Lula and Vice President Geraldo Alckmin before they took office in December 2022.

    Police said most of the men under investigation are military personnel with special forces training, or close aides to Bolsonaro.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    22febdm@gmail.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    ‘Truth or fiction’: US trial of Tupac Shakur’s accused killer begins | Courts News

    August 17, 2026

    Palestinian American reunites with family under siege in West Bank | Israel-Palestine conflict

    August 17, 2026

    Americans turn against Trump as Iran war drags on, approval hits presidency low

    August 17, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    World News

    ‘Truth or fiction’: US trial of Tupac Shakur’s accused killer begins | Courts News

    By 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 17, 20260

    Prosecutors claim Duane Davis was the ‘on-site commander’ in the murder of Shakur, who died…

    Taylor Swift says she can’t ‘stop listening’ to Phoebe Bridgers’ new album

    August 17, 2026

    Palestinian American reunites with family under siege in West Bank | Israel-Palestine conflict

    August 17, 2026

    Pakistan rejects Indian home minister’s allegations linking Islamabad to arrests in India

    August 17, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    22Media
    Facebook Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    © 2026 22Media. Designed by AleemSoft Hub.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?