Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Hichilema wins second term as president of copper-rich Zambia | African Union

    August 18, 2026

    Katie Price’s husband Lee Andrews’ ‘biggest lie ever’ exposed

    August 18, 2026

    Thousands mourn Jason Arday in London, blaming ‘racist’ press for his death | Racism

    August 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Login
    22Media22Media
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Pakistan News
      • World News
      • Amazing News
      • Only On 22
    • Sports
    • Bussiness
    • Innovation
      • Health & Sciences
      • Technology
    • Culture
      • Crime & Justice
      • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Magazines
    • Weather
    • Video
    • Live
    22Media22Media
    Home»News»World News»US sanctions Rwanda minister over DRC fighting | News
    World News

    US sanctions Rwanda minister over DRC fighting | News

    22febdm@gmail.comBy 22febdm@gmail.comFebruary 20, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Rwanda is facing international backlash for backing M23 rebels in DR Congo, an accusation it denies.

    The US Department of the Treasury has imposed sanctions on a Rwandan government minister and a senior member of an armed group for their alleged role in the conflict in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), as M23 rebels there continue an offensive that is fuelling a mass exodus to Burundi.

    The US Treasury Department on Thursday said Rwanda’s Minister of State for Regional Integration James Kabarebe was being targeted because he is “central to Rwanda’s support” for the M23 armed group.

    The US sanctions also targeted Lawrence Kanyuka Kingston, a senior member and spokesperson for the Congo River Alliance – which includes the M23 – and two companies he controls in the United Kingdom and France.

    In a statement, the Treasury said the two individuals and two entities were “linked to violence and human rights abuses” in DRC. “Today’s action underscores the need for Rwanda to return to negotiations under the Angola-led Luanda Process to achieve a resolution to the conflict in eastern DRC,” it added.

    There was no immediate comment from Rwanda, which denies accusations from the United Nations, the US and several other countries that it supports the M23 militarily.

    Rwanda has accused the DRC of sheltering the FDLR, an armed group created by Hutus who took part in the massacre of Tutsis during the 1994 Rwandan genocide.

    The DRC government accuses Rwanda of “expansionist ambitions” and says it is stealing vast amounts of minerals. UN experts said in a report (PDF) published last month that rebels in eastern DRC fraudulently exported 150 tonnes of coltan to Rwanda in 2024.

    Germany summons ambassador

    Separately on Thursday, Germany said it was summoning the Rwandan ambassador to Berlin to protest against M23 advances in eastern DRC.

    “Backed by Rwanda the M23 militia continues its offensive in eastern DRC. Rwanda must respect the integrity of the DRC [and] withdraw its troops,” Germany’s Federal Foreign Office said on social media platform BlueSky. “We strongly condemn the violation of international law and have summoned the Rwandan ambassador.”

    The ministry also said the DRC government in Kinshasa needed to “talk to M23” and “take Rwanda’s legitimate security interests seriously”.

    The United Nations refugee agency said the conflict in the DRC had sparked Burundi’s biggest influx of refugees in 25 years, as roughly 30,000 people crossed the border to escape the rebels’ advance.

    “People are still pouring in by the thousands every day,” Brigitte Mukanga-Eno, a UNHCR representative in Burundi, told a news conference on Wednesday.

    The Rwandan-backed fighters have made big gains in the eastern DRC, seizing the cities of Goma and Bukavu and stoking fears of a regional conflagration.

    The UN human rights office, OHCHR, confirmed on Tuesday that M23 fighters had conducted summary executions of children after they entered the city of Bukavu last week.

    Some of the rebels were also underage, it said.

    “We are also aware that children were in possession of weapons,” OHCHR spokesperson Ravina Shamdasani said. “We call on Rwanda and M23 to ensure that human rights and international humanitarian law are respected.”

    Al Jazeera’s Alain Uaykani, reporting from Bukavu, said Red Cross staff were collecting bodies for a mass burial. “It’s very difficult to know the identities of those who were killed here, but the Red Cross has confirmed that children are among the victims,” he said.

    Uaykani added that the M23 has denied responsibility, pinning the killings on the Congolese army instead.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    22febdm@gmail.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Hichilema wins second term as president of copper-rich Zambia | African Union

    August 18, 2026

    Thousands mourn Jason Arday in London, blaming ‘racist’ press for his death | Racism

    August 18, 2026

    Trump says talking to North Korea’s Kim makes the south safer | Newsfeed

    August 18, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    World News

    Hichilema wins second term as president of copper-rich Zambia | African Union

    By 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 18, 20260

    Zambia’s Hakainde Hichilema has won re-election with 60 percent of the vote, after the count…

    Katie Price’s husband Lee Andrews’ ‘biggest lie ever’ exposed

    August 18, 2026

    Thousands mourn Jason Arday in London, blaming ‘racist’ press for his death | Racism

    August 18, 2026

    Kim Kardashian shares ‘rainbow’ moments with Lewis Hamilton and family

    August 18, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    22Media
    Facebook Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    © 2026 22Media. Designed by AleemSoft Hub.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?