Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Minnesota official sues Texas governor to force ICE agent’s extradition | Migration News

    August 18, 2026

    Bradley Cooper, Monica Barbaro spotted filming ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ prequel

    August 18, 2026

    Bolivia arrests political adviser to Latin American right-wingers | Crime News

    August 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Login
    22Media22Media
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Pakistan News
      • World News
      • Amazing News
      • Only On 22
    • Sports
    • Bussiness
    • Innovation
      • Health & Sciences
      • Technology
    • Culture
      • Crime & Justice
      • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Magazines
    • Weather
    • Video
    • Live
    22Media22Media
    Home»News»Pakistan News»Search continues for more victims amid last rites of dead
    Pakistan News

    Search continues for more victims amid last rites of dead

    22febdm@gmail.comBy 22febdm@gmail.comJuly 6, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Rescue operations continue on the second day at the collapsed building site in Baghdadi, Lyari, Karachi on July 5, 2025. — APP
    Rescue operations continue on the second day at the collapsed building site in Baghdadi, Lyari, Karachi on July 5, 2025. — APP
    • Bodies sent to Mowach Goth Maheshwari graveyard in Baldia.
    • Three people may still be buried under the rubble: rescue workers
    • Rescuers find large sum of money, hand it over to relevant parties.

    KARACHI: The funeral rites of 20 victims out of the total 27 people, who died in the building collapse in Lyari’s Baghdadi area, were offered late on Saturday night as the search for the remaining people said to be buried under the rubble continued for the third day, a spokesperson of the Edhi foundation said on Sunday.

    So far, the rescuers have recovered 27 bodies — including nine women, 15 men, and a ten-year boy and one-and-half-year-old girl — from the rubble, whereas three people are undergoing treatment, as per the hospital administration.

    All bodies recovered have been sent to Mowach Goth Maheshwari graveyard in Baldia for burial.

    Heavy machinery was employed to clear the debris while the rescue personnel used the Trapped Person Locator — a device that detects heartbeats under rubble — to identify survivors.

    Earlier, the Sindh government formed a high-level committee to investigate the incident, tasked with submission of a report by Monday. 

    The decades-old building located in the densely populated Karachi neighbourhood that housed over 40 people in 20 apartments crumbled on Friday — leaving dozens trapped under the debris.

    The Sindh Building Control Authority (SBCA) revealed that the collapsed structure was 30 years old and had been previously marked unsafe.

    The authority claimed it had issued formal evacuation notices two years ago, and the latest was served on 25 June 2025. It said it had also sent notices to K-Electric and the water board to disconnect utility services — but neither the connections were cut nor was the building vacated.

    Providing details of the ongoing search operation, a rescue officer said on Sunday that 80% of the debris removal work had been completed, but three more people may still be buried under the rubble.

    “Large sum of money was found twice during the operation, which was handed over to the parties concerned,” he said. Moreover, 50 rickshaws were also buried under the rubble, he added. 

    The incident, though unfortunate, is not a one-off accident as Karachi has witnessed a pattern of building collapses since 2017.

    The deadly incidents are largely linked to illegal and dilapidated buildings, many of which have long been declared unsafe but remain occupied due to weak implementation by the SBCA.

    The incident also sheds light on the existing threat posed by buildings already declared unsafe and unfit for habitation by the SBCA. The number of such buildings stands at 578 in Karachi, with 456 of them being in the District South alone.

    Other districts also face risk: Central (66), Keamari (23), Korangi (14), East (13), Malir (4), and West (2).

    The SBCA has claimed that it issued formal evacuation notices two years ago, and on 25 June 2025, also sent notices to K-Electric and the Water Board to disconnect utility services — but neither the connections were cut nor was the building vacated.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    22febdm@gmail.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Govt to seek review of SC order on Imran’s hospital transfer: law minister

    August 18, 2026

    Mir Raza case: No ‘major progress’ as police await further details of chemical report

    August 18, 2026

    PM Shehbaz inaugurates Google’s Pakistan office, calls it ‘beautiful new journey’

    August 18, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    World News

    Minnesota official sues Texas governor to force ICE agent’s extradition | Migration News

    By 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 18, 20260

    State Attorney General Keith Ellison has called for the transfer of an ICE agent accused…

    Bradley Cooper, Monica Barbaro spotted filming ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ prequel

    August 18, 2026

    Bolivia arrests political adviser to Latin American right-wingers | Crime News

    August 18, 2026

    Matthew Rhys on Welsh-language Star Wars: ‘I can’t voice Harrison Ford’

    August 18, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    22Media
    Facebook Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    © 2026 22Media. Designed by AleemSoft Hub.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?