Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Dolly Parton fulfills 40-year-old dream despite health setbacks

    August 22, 2026

    Bangladesh signals interest in Makkah Defense pact

    August 22, 2026

    Somalia child hunger crisis deepens after aid cuts, UNICEF says | Hunger News

    August 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Login
    22Media22Media
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Pakistan News
      • World News
      • Amazing News
      • Only On 22
    • Sports
    • Bussiness
    • Innovation
      • Health & Sciences
      • Technology
    • Culture
      • Crime & Justice
      • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Magazines
    • Weather
    • Video
    • Live
    22Media22Media
    Home»News»World News»Putin seeks military victory in Kursk before considering ceasefire
    World News

    Putin seeks military victory in Kursk before considering ceasefire

    22febdm@gmail.comBy 22febdm@gmail.comMarch 14, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Russian President Vladimir Putin delivers a speech during a meeting of the Council of Legislators at the Federal Assembly in Saint Petersburg, Russia April 27, 2022. — Reuters
    Russian President Vladimir Putin delivers a speech during a meeting of the Council of Legislators at the Federal Assembly in Saint Petersburg, Russia April 27, 2022. — Reuters

    KYIV: Russian President Vladimir Putin has urged Ukrainian troops in Kursk to surrender as Moscow’s forces push to reclaim lost ground, while Kyiv warns that the Kremlin is using the battle to strengthen its position before engaging in ceasefire talks.

    US President Donald Trump urged Putin to spare the lives of the Ukrainian troops as he said his envoy had held “productive” talks with Russia’s leader on a proposed 30-day ceasefire.

    Russia has mounted a rapid counteroffensive in the western border region of Kursk over the past week, recapturing much of the territory Ukraine seized in a shock incursion last August.

    Defeat in Kursk would be a major blow to Ukraine’s plans to use its hold on the region as a bargaining chip in peace talks for the three-year-old war.

    “We are sympathetic to President Trump’s call,” Putin said in remarks broadcast on Russian television.

    “If they lay down their arms and surrender, they will be guaranteed life and dignified treatment,” Putin said.

    Trump said “thousands” of Ukrainian troops were “completely surrounded by the Russian military, and in a very bad and vulnerable position”.

    ‘Horrible massacre’

    “I have strongly requested to President Putin that their lives be spared. This would be a horrible massacre, one not seen since World War II,” Trump said.

    Ukraine’s military leadership denied the claims. “There is no threat of our units being encircled,” Ukraine’s General Staff posted on social media.

    Zelensky gave a more sober assessment in comments to reporters in Kyiv. “The situation in the Kursk region is obviously very difficult,” he said, while insisting the campaign still had value.

    Russia, he said, had been forced to pull troops from other areas on the front line, easing pressure on Ukrainian troops fighting to keep control of the eastern logistics hub of Pokrovsk.

    Trump’s latest comments came as he gave an update on a meeting Thursday between his envoy Steve Witkoff and Putin on a US-Ukrainian proposal for a 30-day pause in hostilities.

    “We had very good and productive discussions with President Vladimir Putin of Russia yesterday, and there is a very good chance that this horrible, bloody war can finally come to an end,” Trump said on his Truth Social platform.

    Ukraine losing grip

    Putin said Thursday that he had “serious questions” about the proposal and that events in Kursk would influence the next moves towards a ceasefire.

    Zelensky accused the Russian leader of seeking to undermine the ceasefire initiative.

    “He is now doing everything he can to sabotage diplomacy by setting extremely difficult and unacceptable conditions right from the start even before a ceasefire,” Zelensky posted on X.

    The Kremlin said Friday that it was “cautiously optimistic” a deal could be reached, but that Trump and Putin had to speak directly before talks could progress.

    US National Security Adviser Mike Waltz said in a Fox News interview that the United States had “some cautious optimism” after Witkoff’s visit.

    US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said at a meeting of the Group of Seven western powers in Canada that both sides would have to make “concessions”.

    G7 foreign ministers warned Russia of new sanctions unless it accepted a ceasefire “on equal terms”, saying sanctions could include “caps on oil prices, as well as additional support for Ukraine, and other means”.

    France and Germany accused Russia of seeking to block a ceasefire, and support for Ukraine was to be discussed again in a video conference of some European leaders with Zelensky on Saturday.

    Diplomatic sources said EU foreign affairs chief Kaja Kallas would propose that the 27-country bloc supply up to 40 billion euros (£34 billion) in new military aid to Ukraine.

    Ukraine hoped its hold on Kursk would be a bargaining chip in talks with Russia and was eyeing a potential land swap with Moscow, which has occupied around a fifth of Ukraine since it took Crimea in 2014 and launched its military offensive in February 2022.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    22febdm@gmail.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Somalia child hunger crisis deepens after aid cuts, UNICEF says | Hunger News

    August 22, 2026

    Washington targets Iran’s lifelines as Tehran vows ‘crushing, punishing’ retaliation

    August 22, 2026

    China’s new moon mission could unlock secret of lunar ice: Why that matters | Space News

    August 22, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    Entertainment

    Dolly Parton fulfills 40-year-old dream despite health setbacks

    By 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 22, 20260

    Dolly Parton fulfills 40-year-old dream despite health setbacksDolly Parton is dealing with ongoing health challenges…

    Bangladesh signals interest in Makkah Defense pact

    August 22, 2026

    Somalia child hunger crisis deepens after aid cuts, UNICEF says | Hunger News

    August 22, 2026

    Washington targets Iran’s lifelines as Tehran vows ‘crushing, punishing’ retaliation

    August 22, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    22Media
    Facebook Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    © 2026 22Media. Designed by AleemSoft Hub.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?