Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    ‘Bold and important first step’: Trump hails Pakistan-KSA-Turkiye defence pact

    August 17, 2026

    Hayden Panettiere dead: ‘Heroes’ star breathes her last at 36

    August 17, 2026

    Rare Pallas’s cat captured on camera in northern Iran mountains | Show Types

    August 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Login
    22Media22Media
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Pakistan News
      • World News
      • Amazing News
      • Only On 22
    • Sports
    • Bussiness
    • Innovation
      • Health & Sciences
      • Technology
    • Culture
      • Crime & Justice
      • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Magazines
    • Weather
    • Video
    • Live
    22Media22Media
    Home»News»World News»Honda, Nissan end merger talks, scuttling $60bn deal | Automotive Industry News
    World News

    Honda, Nissan end merger talks, scuttling $60bn deal | Automotive Industry News

    22febdm@gmail.comBy 22febdm@gmail.comFebruary 13, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    The potential tie-up would have created the world’s third-largest automaker, rivaling US and Chinese companies.

    Japan’s second and third-largest automakers, Honda and Nissan, have announced that their boards had voted to end talks to merge, even as they pledged to continue their cooperation on electric vehicles amid intensifying global competition.

    Thursday’s announcement brings to an end a potential tie-up that would have created the world’s third-largest automaker, worth some $60bn.

    The firms said in a joint statement that they “agreed to terminate the MOU (memorandum of understanding) signed on December 23 last year for consideration of a business integration between the two companies”.

    The firms’ intention to join forces had been seen as a bid to catch up with US titan Tesla and Chinese firms in the electric vehicle market.

    Nissan reportedly backed out of the talks with larger rival Honda after negotiations were complicated by growing differences, including Honda’s proposal that Nissan become a subsidiary, sources had previously told the Reuters news agency.

    In the joint statement, the automakers confirmed Honda “proposed changing the structure from establishing a joint holding company… to a structure where Honda would be the parent company and Nissan the subsidiary through a share exchange”.

    As a result of the talks, both companies concluded that “it would be most appropriate to cease discussions and terminate the MOU,” the statement said.

    They will, however, continue to “collaborate within the framework of a strategic partnership aimed at the era of intelligence and electrified vehicles, striving to create new value and maximise the corporate value of both companies”, it added.

    The automakers, and junior partner Mitsubishi Motors, had announced they would consider the merger late last year. Sources later told Reuters that Mitsubishi was unlikely to participate.

    Honda and Nissan have seen their industry and the key China market upended by the rapid rise of Chinese electric vehicle makers such as BYD, and both are facing the prospect of tariffs in the US, another key market.

    With the collapse of merger talks, Nissan is now open to working with new partners, with Taiwan’s Foxconn seen as one candidate.

    Foxconn Chairman Young Liu said on Wednesday it would consider taking a stake in Nissan but that its main aim was cooperation.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    22febdm@gmail.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Rare Pallas’s cat captured on camera in northern Iran mountains | Show Types

    August 17, 2026

    Zambia incumbent takes early election lead as opposition alleges armed raid | Elections News

    August 17, 2026

    Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in country’s history | Ebola News

    August 17, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    Pakistan News

    ‘Bold and important first step’: Trump hails Pakistan-KSA-Turkiye defence pact

    By 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 17, 20260

    US President Donald Trump delivers remarks at David S Mack Center for Training and Intelligence…

    Hayden Panettiere dead: ‘Heroes’ star breathes her last at 36

    August 17, 2026

    Rare Pallas’s cat captured on camera in northern Iran mountains | Show Types

    August 17, 2026

    Harrison Ford becomes first-ever model for Indiana Jones Disney animatronic

    August 17, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    22Media
    Facebook Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    © 2026 22Media. Designed by AleemSoft Hub.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?