Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Minnesota official sues Texas governor to force ICE agent’s extradition | Migration News

    August 18, 2026

    Bradley Cooper, Monica Barbaro spotted filming ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ prequel

    August 18, 2026

    Bolivia arrests political adviser to Latin American right-wingers | Crime News

    August 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Login
    22Media22Media
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Pakistan News
      • World News
      • Amazing News
      • Only On 22
    • Sports
    • Bussiness
    • Innovation
      • Health & Sciences
      • Technology
    • Culture
      • Crime & Justice
      • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Magazines
    • Weather
    • Video
    • Live
    22Media22Media
    Home»News»Pakistan News»Death toll jumps to 26 as search operation underway
    Pakistan News

    Death toll jumps to 26 as search operation underway

    22febdm@gmail.comBy 22febdm@gmail.comJuly 6, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Rescue workers search for victims under the rubble after a five-story residential building collapsed in Karachi on July 04, 2025. — INP
    Rescue workers search for victims under the rubble after a five-story residential building collapsed in Karachi on July 04, 2025. — INP
    • 26 bodies pulled from rubble of collapsed building.
    • Three people undergoing treatment at hospital.
    • Authorities estimate up to 10-12 people to be trapped.

    KARACHI: The search and rescue operation continued through the night into Saturday, as teams worked for a second day to find survivors and recover bodies from the debris of the five-storey residential building that collapsed in the Lyari’s Baghdadi area a day earlier. 

    The decades old building located in the densely populated Karachi neighbourhood that housed over 40 people in 20 apartments crumbled on Friday. 

    So far, the rescuers have recovered 26 bodies — including nine women, 15 men, and a ten-year boy and one-and-half-year-old girl — from the debris, whereas three people are undergoing treatment, as per the hospital administration.

    The building’s collapse was marked by chaos and distress as relatives of the trapped victims attempted to assist rescue workers, inadvertently disrupting operations.

    Rangers and city wardens were later deployed to cordon off the area and stop people from approaching the site. Heavy machinery is being used to clear the debris with rescue personnel using a Trapped Person Locator — a device that detects heartbeats under rubble — to identify survivors.

    This equipment is deployed after each layer of rubble is cleared, making the operation lengthy but thorough. Authorities said the mission may take several more hours to complete.

    Heavy machinery is deployed for rescue operations after a residential building collapsed in Baghdadi, Lyari on July 4, 2025. — APP
    Heavy machinery is deployed for rescue operations after a residential building collapsed in Baghdadi, Lyari on July 4, 2025. — APP

    With the search operation continuing for over 20 hours, District South Deputy CommissionerJaved Khoso on Saturday said that it may take up to eight to 10 hours to complete the rescue operation.

    “This building was declared dangerous three years ago. A notice was issued to the building a month and a half ago,” the DC said adding that there were still 22 extremely dangerous buildings in Lyari — of which 16 have been evacuated.

    He added that efforts were underway to evacuate the remaining buildings as well and warned of legal action over failure to comply with the directives.

    Recalling the incident, Yousuf, one of the survivors of the building collapse, acknowledged that two notices to vacate the building had already been issued.

    “The building shook twice before the accident. [I] was on the fourth floor and was going down the stairs with my aunt at the time of the accident,” he noted.

    Meanwhile, speaking to the media during his visit to the incident site late Friday night, Karachi Commissioner Syed Hassan Naqvi advised the residents of the damaged buildings to move to another place to avoid any mishap.

    “We cannot forcefully evict anyone,” the commissioner said, adding that he will hold a meeting with the Sindh Building Control Authority (SBCA) on the issue of illegal constructions.

    With the Sindh government forming a high-level committee to investigate the incident, which will submit its report in three days, the SBCA revealed that the collapsed structure was 30 years old and had been previously marked unsafe.

    The SBCA claims it issued formal evacuation notices two years ago, and on 25 June 2025, also sent notices to K-Electric and the Water Board to disconnect utility services — but neither the connections were cut nor was the building vacated.

    Grief-stricken family members break down in tears at the tragic site of a collapsed residential building in Baghdadi, Lyari on July 4, 2025. — APP
    Grief-stricken family members break down in tears at the tragic site of a collapsed residential building in Baghdadi, Lyari on July 4, 2025. — APP

    Reacting to the incident, Association of Builders and Developers (ABAD) Hassan Bakshi has urged the government to take over the dilapidated buildings and make arrangements for the residents to live somewhere.

    “The buildings should be constructed and the residents should be sent to live on rent for two years,” Bakshi said, adding that the provincial government should arrange for a subsidy in case of cost overrun.

    The ABAD official also highlighted that his forum was ready to cooperate and participate in this regard.

    The yesterday’s incident, though unfortunate, is not a one-off accident as Karachi has witnessed a pattern of building collapses since 2017.

    The deadly incidents are largely linked to illegal and dilapidated buildings, many of which have long been declared unsafe but remain occupied due to weak implementation by the SBCA.

    The incident also sheds light on the existing threat posed by buildings already declared unsafe and unfit for habitation by the SBCA. The number of such buildings stand at 578 in Karachi with 456 of them being in the District South alone.

    Other districts also face risk: Central (66), Keamari (23), Korangi (14), East (13), Malir (4), and West (2).

    Experts stress that notices and banners alone are not enough. They urge the Sindh government to ensure the immediate evacuation of such buildings and provide temporary housing for displaced residents to prevent future tragedies.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    22febdm@gmail.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Govt to seek review of SC order on Imran’s hospital transfer: law minister

    August 18, 2026

    Mir Raza case: No ‘major progress’ as police await further details of chemical report

    August 18, 2026

    PM Shehbaz inaugurates Google’s Pakistan office, calls it ‘beautiful new journey’

    August 18, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    World News

    Minnesota official sues Texas governor to force ICE agent’s extradition | Migration News

    By 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 18, 20260

    State Attorney General Keith Ellison has called for the transfer of an ICE agent accused…

    Bradley Cooper, Monica Barbaro spotted filming ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ prequel

    August 18, 2026

    Bolivia arrests political adviser to Latin American right-wingers | Crime News

    August 18, 2026

    Matthew Rhys on Welsh-language Star Wars: ‘I can’t voice Harrison Ford’

    August 18, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    22Media
    Facebook Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    © 2026 22Media. Designed by AleemSoft Hub.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?