Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Amputee children learn to swim after losing limbs in Israel’s war on Gaza | Gaza

    August 20, 2026

    Preparations complete to shift Imran Khan to Shifa International Hospital: sources

    August 20, 2026

    Anna Faris reveals she’s sober weeks after sparking concern over behaviour

    August 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Login
    22Media22Media
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Pakistan News
      • World News
      • Amazing News
      • Only On 22
    • Sports
    • Bussiness
    • Innovation
      • Health & Sciences
      • Technology
    • Culture
      • Crime & Justice
      • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Magazines
    • Weather
    • Video
    • Live
    22Media22Media
    Home»News»World News»Cyclone Alfred weakens but dangerous winds, flooding continue | Weather News
    World News

    Cyclone Alfred weakens but dangerous winds, flooding continue | Weather News

    22febdm@gmail.comBy 22febdm@gmail.comMarch 8, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Officials warn residents to stay vigilant as ex-cyclone Alfred leaves more than 330,000 homes and businesses without power.

    Tropical Cyclone Alfred has weakened into a tropical low weather system but officials warned that the storm can still bring severe winds and flooding to the eastern coast of Australia.

    The cyclone, which weakened early on Saturday, crossed the islands off the coast of Queensland state overnight and is now heading towards the mainland, the Bureau of Meteorology said.

    “Heavy-to-locally intense rainfall leading to flash and riverine flooding now becomes the major concern as the ex-Tropical Cyclone Alfred moves inland,” Bureau of Meteorology manager Matt Collopy said.

    Alfred has blacked out more than a quarter of a million homes and businesses while prompting evacuation orders for thousands of people. No deaths have been reported so far but authorities have urged residents to stay indoors.

    Young men stand behind a wall as they play in record-breaking waves caused by the outer fringe of Tropical Cyclone Alfred at Point Danger in Coolangatta on March 7, 2025
    Young men stand behind a wall as they play in record-breaking waves caused by the outer fringe of Tropical Cyclone Alfred at Point Danger in Coolangatta on March 7, 2025 [David Gray/AFP]

    “The impacts are already being felt, and there is worse to come in the hours ahead,” Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said in a news conference from the National Situation Room in Canberra.

    It had been expected to become the first cyclone to cross the east Australian coast near the Queensland state capital of Brisbane since 1974.

    Cyclones are common in Queensland’s tropical north but rare in the state’s temperate and densely populated southeast corner that borders New South Wales state.

    Thousands without power

    Brisbane Airport remains shut and the city has suspended public transport. More than 1,000 schools in southeast Queensland and 280 in northern New South Wales (NSW) have been closed.

    More than 330,000 homes and businesses lost power on both sides of the border between NSW and Queensland, a large proportion of them in Gold Coast, which recorded the strongest gusts of 107km/h (66mph) on Friday night.

    Of those, 291,000 premises were in Queensland, including 131,000 at Gold Coast, officials said. Another 45,000 were without power in New South Wales.

    Workers fix electricity wires that were damaged due to strong winds from Cyclone Alfred in the suburb of Elanora on the Gold Coast on March 8, 2025. Cyclone Alfred weakened into a tropical low on March 8 but still threatened to unleash major floods on swollen rivers as it approached the rain and wind-lashed eastern coast of Australia
    Workers fix electricity wires damaged due to strong winds [David Gray/AFP]

    Power lines, homes and cars were damaged by falling trees across the region over Friday night.

    One man was still missing after his four-wheel drive vehicle was swept off a bridge into a rain-swollen river the previous day in northern New South Wales.

    “While it has been downgraded, very serious risks remain so it is important that people do not take this downgrading as a reason for complacency,” PM Albanese said.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    22febdm@gmail.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Amputee children learn to swim after losing limbs in Israel’s war on Gaza | Gaza

    August 20, 2026

    Thai schools hold shooter drills after deadly attack | Gun Violence

    August 20, 2026

    Bangladesh elects ruling party veteran Alamgir as president | Elections News

    August 20, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    World News

    Amputee children learn to swim after losing limbs in Israel’s war on Gaza | Gaza

    By 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 20, 20260

    Amputee children in Khan Younis are learning to swim as part of a programme helping…

    Preparations complete to shift Imran Khan to Shifa International Hospital: sources

    August 20, 2026

    Anna Faris reveals she’s sober weeks after sparking concern over behaviour

    August 20, 2026

    BTS’ Toronto return sparks excitement among fans

    August 20, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    22Media
    Facebook Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    © 2026 22Media. Designed by AleemSoft Hub.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?