Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Vanessa Williams recalls ‘Ugly Betty’s’ rocky early days

    August 18, 2026

    Pakistan’s missing link in FDI: Engaging the private sector

    August 18, 2026

    ISPR slams ‘Bollywood-style’ Op Sindoor documentary, as military success

    August 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Login
    22Media22Media
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Pakistan News
      • World News
      • Amazing News
      • Only On 22
    • Sports
    • Bussiness
    • Innovation
      • Health & Sciences
      • Technology
    • Culture
      • Crime & Justice
      • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Magazines
    • Weather
    • Video
    • Live
    22Media22Media
    Home»News»World News»DR Congo summit directs army chiefs to enforce ceasefire | News
    World News

    DR Congo summit directs army chiefs to enforce ceasefire | News

    22febdm@gmail.comBy 22febdm@gmail.comFebruary 8, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    The Rwanda-backed M23 is closing on the town of Kavumu in South Kivu in an offensive that has left thousands dead and displaced large numbers.

    A summit of African leaders to address the crisis in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has directed army chiefs to meet within five days and “provide technical direction on an immediate and unconditional ceasefire”.

    The meeting, which came to a close in Tanzania on Saturday, brought together the leaders of the eight-nation East African Community (EAC) and 16-member Southern African Development Community (SADC).

    It also called for an opening of humanitarian corridors to evacuate the dead and injured.

    The Rwanda-backed M23 armed group has rapidly seized swaths of territory in the mineral-rich eastern DRC in an offensive that has left thousands dead and displaced vast numbers. Rwanda denies military support for the M23.

    The group took the strategic city of Goma, capital of North Kivu province, last week and is pushing into neighbouring South Kivu in the latest episode of decades-long turmoil in the region.

    The summit came amid reports on Saturday that the M23 was closing on the town of Kavumu in South Kivu, which hosts an airport critical to supplying Congolese troops.

    “We call on all parties to actualise the ceasefire, and specifically on the M23 to halt further advancement and the armed forces of DRC to cease all retaliatory measures,” said Kenya President William Ruto, the current chair of the EAC, in opening remarks.

    Since the M23 re-emerged in 2021, peace talks hosted by both Angola and Kenya have failed, and multiple ceasefires have collapsed. The offensive has raised fears of regional war, given that several countries are engaged in supporting DRC militarily, including South Africa, Burundi and Malawi.

    A United Nations report said last year Rwanda had approximately 4,000 troops in DRC and profited from smuggling out of the country vast amounts of gold and coltan, a mineral vital for phones and laptops.

    Rwanda accuses the DRC of sheltering the FDLR, an armed group created by ethnic Hutus who massacred Tutsis during the 1994 Rwandan genocide.

    UN rights chief Volker Turk warned on Friday that “if nothing is done, the worst may be yet to come for the people of the eastern DRC but also beyond the country’s borders”.

    Turk said nearly 3,000 people had been confirmed killed and 2,880 wounded since M23 entered Goma on January 26, and that final tolls were likely to be much higher.

    He also said his team was “currently verifying multiple allegations of rape, gang rape and sexual slavery”.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    22febdm@gmail.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Hichilema wins second term as president of copper-rich Zambia | African Union

    August 18, 2026

    Thousands mourn Jason Arday in London, blaming ‘racist’ press for his death | Racism

    August 18, 2026

    Trump says talking to North Korea’s Kim makes the south safer | Newsfeed

    August 18, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    Entertainment

    Vanessa Williams recalls ‘Ugly Betty’s’ rocky early days

    By 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 18, 20260

    Vanessa Williams recalls ‘Ugly Betty’s’ rocky early daysVanessa Williams is reflecting on just how little…

    Pakistan’s missing link in FDI: Engaging the private sector

    August 18, 2026

    ISPR slams ‘Bollywood-style’ Op Sindoor documentary, as military success

    August 18, 2026

    Hichilema wins second term as president of copper-rich Zambia | African Union

    August 18, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    22Media
    Facebook Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    © 2026 22Media. Designed by AleemSoft Hub.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?