Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Two Pakistani sailors’ remains arrive after Red Sea attack

    August 20, 2026

    Syrian official says ‘no plans’ to establish Turkish military presence | Military News

    August 20, 2026

    Naomi Watts to receive Zurich Film Festival honour

    August 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Login
    22Media22Media
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Pakistan News
      • World News
      • Amazing News
      • Only On 22
    • Sports
    • Bussiness
    • Innovation
      • Health & Sciences
      • Technology
    • Culture
      • Crime & Justice
      • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Magazines
    • Weather
    • Video
    • Live
    22Media22Media
    Home»News»Pakistan News»Sindh fears over 1.6m people at risk amid flood threat
    Pakistan News

    Sindh fears over 1.6m people at risk amid flood threat

    22febdm@gmail.comBy 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 30, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Villagers along with their livestock evacuate on a boat after an increase in floodwater levels following the overflowing of the Chenab River in Multan on August 30, 2025.— AFP
    Villagers along with their livestock evacuate on a boat after an increase in floodwater levels following the overflowing of the Chenab River in Multan on August 30, 2025.— AFP
    • Floodwaters may enter Sindh by September 2 or 3.
    • Guddu barrage water outflow at 351,000 cusecs.
    • Sukkur barrage discharging 289,000 cusecs currently.

    KARACHI: Sindh’s Senior Minister Sharjeel Inam Memon has warned that as many as 1.6 million people across 1,657 villages could be affected if floodwaters enter the province in the coming days.

    Speaking to the media on Saturday, Memon said the provincial government had activated its machinery and was taking advance measures to deal with the situation. Ministers are on the ground, while the district administration is also actively engaged, he added.

    The minister’s remarks come as vast swathes of land have been left inundated in floodwaters in Punjab where at least 30 people have been killed and more than 1.5 million have been affected due to swelling Sutlej, Chenab and Ravi rivers due to torrential rains and water discharge by India.

    With efforts underway to move people to safe locations, as many as 481,000 people have been evacuated from flood-hit areas in the province.

    Meanwhlie, the Sindh government, according to Memon, has earmarked 551 points for relief camps, with 192 rescue boats kept ready. Around 273,000 families and 167 union councils are likely to be impacted if water levels rise further. He said floodwaters could enter Sindh between 2 and 3 September.

    Memon said the Guddu barrage was currently discharging 351,000 cusecs of water, Sukkur 289,000 cusecs, and Kotri 251,000 cusecs. Guddu has a capacity of 1.2 million cusecs, Sukkur 900,00 and Kotri 600,000 cusecs, he explained. At present, the data indicate no alarming situation, and if no further heavy rains occur, conditions may remain under control.

    The senior minister emphasised that there was no immediate threat to urban centres and urged against speculation. The situation, he stressed, did not require emergency measures such as seeking army assistance, as the provincial government was self-sufficient and managing the crisis.

    Memon also said that people living in katcha (riverine) areas were being sensitised, as they were the most aware of the water’s behaviour. “When the water level rises, residents voluntarily move to pucca (settled) areas or stay with relatives,” he said.

    He further noted that 300 separate camps had been set up for livestock, while 15 districts of Sindh situated along the riverbanks were under close watch.

    “Pakistan is among the countries most affected by climate change. Construction must never take place within riverbeds,” Memon remarked, adding that information on water inflows and outflows at barrages would be shared every three hours.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    22febdm@gmail.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    ‘It takes two to tango’: PM Shehbaz extends olive branch to opposition

    August 20, 2026

    SC returns govt’s review plea against Imran Khan’s hospital transfer order

    August 20, 2026

    Syrian FM in Pakistan to discuss bilateral ties, regional and int’l developments

    August 20, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    Technology

    Two Pakistani sailors’ remains arrive after Red Sea attack

    By 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 20, 20260

    KARACHI: The deadly Red Sea attack that claimed the lives of two Pakistani sailors has…

    Syrian official says ‘no plans’ to establish Turkish military presence | Military News

    August 20, 2026

    Naomi Watts to receive Zurich Film Festival honour

    August 20, 2026

    TikTok eyes money transfers straight from DMs

    August 20, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    22Media
    Facebook Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    © 2026 22Media. Designed by AleemSoft Hub.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?