
- Scope of investigations expanded to PTA, FBR and SECP: sources.
- Information sought from immigration, passport and visa authorities.
- FIA, NCCIA, police probe scammers’ financial, digital links.
ISLAMABAD: A recent probe has found evidence that foreign scam networks operating from Pakistan are allegedly targeting people in various countries worldwide, sources revealed on Thursday.
The development came days after the Federal Investigation Agency had arrested 284 foreign nationals during a major crackdown on alleged online fraud and other illegal activities, The News reported.
After completing legal formalities, all the 284 foreign nationals were directed last week to leave Pakistan within 15 days, subject to possessing valid travel documents and completing all other formalities.
The sources privy to the matter said that the scope of ongoing cybercrime investigations has been extended to the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA), the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) and the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP).
Information is also being sought from immigration, passport and visa authorities, the sources said, adding that the entry, stay and business activities of the foreign nationals, as well as their alleged cybercrime network, are being investigated.
The sources, quoting an Indonesian scammer who arrived in Pakistan as a chef three months ago, said: “We are a group of nine people, including two Chinese and seven Indonesians.”
“Our gang earn $80,000 a month through the schemes and targets Indonesian women aged over 40,” he added.
According to the scammer, the group based in Pakistan had been targeting people abroad.
The well-informed sources said that the investigation had been expanded to potential victims and network members outside the country.
The FIA, NCCIA and police are jointly examining financial transactions and digital infrastructure linked to the scammers, the sources added.
The sources privy to the matter further said that the federal government has decided to launch a nationwide grand operation against illegal call centres, cyber fraud and explicit content.
A special task force will operate under the FIA headquarters and submit daily reports on its operations against the call centres to the Interior Ministry, the sources added.
The task force will investigate extortion, blackmail, gambling and scams, the sources said, adding: “A list of call centres operating in Karachi has also been compiled.”
All relevant institutions have been directed to fully cooperate with the task force, the sources added.

