Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Hayden Panettiere dead: ‘Heroes’ star breathes her last at 36

    August 17, 2026

    Rare Pallas’s cat captured on camera in northern Iran mountains | Show Types

    August 17, 2026

    Harrison Ford becomes first-ever model for Indiana Jones Disney animatronic

    August 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Login
    22Media22Media
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Pakistan News
      • World News
      • Amazing News
      • Only On 22
    • Sports
    • Bussiness
    • Innovation
      • Health & Sciences
      • Technology
    • Culture
      • Crime & Justice
      • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Magazines
    • Weather
    • Video
    • Live
    22Media22Media
    Home»Culture»Crime & Justice»70 killed in Haiti attack, far higher than official count
    Crime & Justice

    70 killed in Haiti attack, far higher than official count

    22febdm@gmail.comBy 22febdm@gmail.comMarch 31, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    As many as 70 people were killed and 30 others injured in a brutal attack near Petite-Rivière in Haiti’s Artibonite region, according to human rights group Defenseurs Plus, significantly higher than initial official estimates of around 16 deaths.

    Residents and local officials said the violence began early Sunday in rural communities around Jean-Denis and continued into Monday, as armed gang members stormed the area and setting homes on fire and spreading panic.

    Defenseurs Plus reported that nearly 6,000 people were displaced by the violence, while the United Nations estimated that over 2,000 residents fled their homes in the days following attack.

    Initial reports from Haiti National Police indicated 16 deaths and 10 injuries, while civil protection authorities later reported 17 dead and 19 wounded, mostly men. A UN spokesperson said casualty estimates ranged between 10 and 80, calling for a thorough investigation.

    In a joint statement, Defenseurs Plus and the Collective to Save the Artibonite condemned what they described as a failure of authorities to respond effectively, accusing them of abandoning the region to armed groups.

    An audio message circulating on social media was attributed to Luckson Elan, leader of the Gran Grif gang, who reportedly claimed the attack was retaliation for earlier assaults on their base in Savien by rival groups.

    The Artibonite department, a key agricultural hub in Haiti, has witnessed some of the country’s deadliest violence, as gang conflicts spread beyond the capital, Port-au-Prince.

    Police said three armoured vehicles were deployed but were slowed by roadblocks dug by militants. By the time forces arrived, attackers had fled and dozens of homes had already been burned. Authorities confirmed that the injured were taken to nearby hospitals, while the deceased were to morgues. An operation is now underway to track down those responsible.

    Defenseurs Plus estimated that around 50 houses were destroyed in the attack.

    According to a recent UN report, nearly 20,000 people have been killed in Haiti since 2021, as increasingly powerful gangs continue to clash with security forces and vigilante groups.

    The Gran Grif group and the Viv Ansanm alliance comprising hundreds of gangs have been designated as terrorist organizations by the United States.

    They have been accused of mass killings, sexual violence, arson, and trafficking in weapons, drugs, and even human organs.

    Earlier this month, the U.S. announced a reward of up to $3 million for information on the groups’ financial networks.

    The latest attack marks another massacre in the region. In October 2024, a Gran Grif assault on Pont-Sonde left at least 115 people dead, as gunmen reportedly went door to door targeting residents.

    More than 1.4 million people around 12% of Haiti’s population have been displaced due to escalating gang violence, deepening the country’s economic crisis and worsening food insecurity.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    22febdm@gmail.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Two killed, one injured in electric shock incident in Lower Dir

    August 16, 2026

    ESA satellite captures 2026 eclipse shadow from space

    August 16, 2026

    Google Meet can now take notes at in-person meetings

    August 16, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    Entertainment

    Hayden Panettiere dead: ‘Heroes’ star breathes her last at 36

    By 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 17, 20260

    Hayden Panettiere dead: ‘Heroes’ star breathes her last at 36Heroes star Hayden Panettiere has passed…

    Rare Pallas’s cat captured on camera in northern Iran mountains | Show Types

    August 17, 2026

    Harrison Ford becomes first-ever model for Indiana Jones Disney animatronic

    August 17, 2026

    Zambia incumbent takes early election lead as opposition alleges armed raid | Elections News

    August 17, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    22Media
    Facebook Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    © 2026 22Media. Designed by AleemSoft Hub.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?