Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Tom Hiddleston’s emotional comments on Loki resurface ahead of ‘Doomsday’

    August 18, 2026

    Jungkook earns ‘Most Handsome Man Alive 2026’ title, sparks K-pop buzz

    August 18, 2026

    Pakistan’s 11-year-old ‘Aurangzeb Taseer’ wins opening bout at MMA World Cup

    August 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Login
    22Media22Media
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Pakistan News
      • World News
      • Amazing News
      • Only On 22
    • Sports
    • Bussiness
    • Innovation
      • Health & Sciences
      • Technology
    • Culture
      • Crime & Justice
      • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Magazines
    • Weather
    • Video
    • Live
    22Media22Media
    Home»News»World News»Libya finds two mass graves with bodies of nearly 50 migrants, refugees | Refugees News
    World News

    Libya finds two mass graves with bodies of nearly 50 migrants, refugees | Refugees News

    22febdm@gmail.comBy 22febdm@gmail.comFebruary 9, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Rights groups and UN agencies have documented systematic abuse against migrants, refugees in Libya including torture, rape and extortion.

    Libya authorities have uncovered nearly 50 bodies from two mass graves in the country’s southeastern desert, in the latest tragedy involving people seeking to reach Europe through the North African country.

    The security directorate said in a statement on Sunday that one mass grave found on Friday in a farm in the southeastern city of Kufra contained 19 bodies. The remains were taken for autopsy.

    Mohamed al-Fadeil, head of the security chamber in Kufra, said a second mass grave with at least 30 bodies was also found in the city after authorities raided a migrant detention centre.

    He added that according to survivor accounts, nearly 70 people were buried in that site and authorities were still searching the area.

    Al-Abreen, a charity that helps migrants and refugees in eastern and southern Libya, said that some of the people found in the mass graves had been shot and killed before they were buried.

    Mass graves containing the bodies of asylum seekers have previously been discovered in Libya, the main transit point for migrants from Africa and the Middle East trying to make it to Europe.

    Last year, authorities unearthed the bodies of at least 65 migrants in the Shuayrif region, south of the capital Tripoli.

    Human traffickers have benefited from more than a decade of instability, smuggling migrants and refugees across the country’s borders with six nations, including Chad, Niger, Sudan, Egypt, Algeria and Tunisia.

    Rights groups and United Nations agencies have for years documented systematic abuse of asylum seekers in Libya including forced labour, beatings, rapes and torture. The abuse often accompanies efforts to extort money from families before they are allowed to leave Libya on traffickers’ boats.

    Those who are intercepted and returned to Libya are held in government-run detention centres where they suffer from abuse, including torture, rape and extortion, according to rights groups and UN experts.

    The country plunged into chaos following a NATO-backed uprising that toppled and killed Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011. The oil-rich nation has been ruled for most of the past decade by rival governments in eastern and western Libya, each backed by an array of fighter groups and foreign governments.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    22febdm@gmail.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Trump lashes out at CNN reporter over South Korea question | Donald Trump

    August 18, 2026

    Palestine weekly: Global outcry fails to break West Bank siege | Israel-Palestine conflict News

    August 18, 2026

    Vessel hit by ‘unknown projectile’ in Strait of Hormuz, UKMTO says | News

    August 18, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    Entertainment

    Tom Hiddleston’s emotional comments on Loki resurface ahead of ‘Doomsday’

    By 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 18, 20260

    Tom Hiddleston is officially confirmed to return as Loki in ‘Avengers: Doomsday’Tom Hiddleston can’t quite…

    Jungkook earns ‘Most Handsome Man Alive 2026’ title, sparks K-pop buzz

    August 18, 2026

    Pakistan’s 11-year-old ‘Aurangzeb Taseer’ wins opening bout at MMA World Cup

    August 18, 2026

    AI agents are now hacking each other

    August 18, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    22Media
    Facebook Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    © 2026 22Media. Designed by AleemSoft Hub.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?