Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Karachi housing backlog grows as ‘SBCA’ approves just 1,039 projects in 16 years

    August 17, 2026

    Missing Iranian pilots deepen Iran-Qatar tensions

    August 17, 2026

    Disney unveils major movie and series lineup at ‘D23’ Fan Event

    August 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Login
    22Media22Media
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Pakistan News
      • World News
      • Amazing News
      • Only On 22
    • Sports
    • Bussiness
    • Innovation
      • Health & Sciences
      • Technology
    • Culture
      • Crime & Justice
      • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Magazines
    • Weather
    • Video
    • Live
    22Media22Media
    Home»Culture»Crime & Justice»Death toll rises to 20, over 65 still missing
    Crime & Justice

    Death toll rises to 20, over 65 still missing

    22febdm@gmail.comBy 22febdm@gmail.comJanuary 19, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    The fire that broke out at Gul Plaza shopping mall on MA Jinnah Road, Karachi, late Saturday night has been completely extinguished after 33 hours, while cooling operations are still underway.

    DIG South Asad Raza confirmed that 20 people have died so far, more than 30 were injured, and over 65 individuals remain missing. Among the deceased is one woman, while the rest are men. The recovery of bodies is ongoing, and unidentified remains have been temporarily kept at the Edhi morgue.

    According to the Chief Fire Officer, rescue teams are cutting windows with cutters and breaking walls using hammers to reach people trapped inside. Firefighters entered the building late Sunday night following reports of possible survivors on the third floor. A limited search operation was conducted in burned shops using thermal cameras and by calling out for signs of life.

    During the search, human remains of three individuals, including a child, were recovered and shifted to the trauma center of Civil Hospital.
    Police stated that mobile numbers of missing persons’ families have been collected, and the last known location of more than 20 mobile phones has been traced to Gul Plaza.

    Reports of Over 65 Missing a Major Tragedy, Says Sindh Governor

    Sindh Governor Kamran Khan Tessori visited Gul Plaza to review the ongoing rescue operation, where the Deputy Commissioner South briefed him on relief activities.

    Speaking to the media, the governor said that failure to fully control the fire even after 28 hours has caused serious anxiety among the public. He termed reports of more than 65 missing persons as extremely alarming, stating that the Gul Plaza incident has now become a national tragedy.

    He emphasized that saving precious human lives is the top priority at this stage, while investigations into the causes of the fire will be conducted later.

    The governor added that he is in continuous contact with three major builders of the city for the rehabilitation of the market. He said 2,500 bottles of water have been delivered at the site, food arrangements for the affected people will be made personally, and reports of a pregnant woman possibly trapped inside the building are deeply concerning.

    Teams Formed to Monitor Rescue Operation

    On the directives of the Karachi Commissioner, six teams comprising 30 officers have been formed to oversee the rescue operation in the Gul Plaza tragedy.

    According to the Deputy Commissioner South, all teams will remain in close coordination with relevant departments and monitor relief and rescue activities.

    Each team consists of five officers, including a team head, an assistant commissioner, and a mukhtarkar, while command responsibilities have been assigned to different officers at various times.

    CCTV Footage of Gul Plaza Fire Incident Emerges

    CCTV footage of the fire incident at Gul Plaza in Karachi has surfaced, showing the initial moments after the blaze erupted.

    According to the footage, the recording time is 10:22 pm, clearly capturing scenes after the fire intensified. The video also shows severe traffic congestion around the site of the incident.

    Fire Declared Third Degree

    It is worth noting that the fire broke out at around 10:15 pm on Saturday on the ground floor of Gul Plaza and rapidly spread up to the third floor.

    Authorities have declared the blaze a third-degree fire, which has not yet been fully brought under control. As a result of the fire, all shops on the ground floor were completely gutted.

    Firefighters are facing serious difficulties entering the building due to extreme heat. The shopping plaza houses more than 1,200 shops.

    According to the Chief Fire Officer, a powerful explosion occurred inside the building, after which the fire spread further. The explosion was reportedly caused by a gas leak.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    22febdm@gmail.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Disney unveils major movie and series lineup at ‘D23’ Fan Event

    August 17, 2026

    Prince William and Harry will reunite for Diana’s 30th death anniversary

    August 17, 2026

    SpaceX sets launch record with two Falcon 9 missions in under 39 minutes

    August 17, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    Weather

    Karachi housing backlog grows as ‘SBCA’ approves just 1,039 projects in 16 years

    By 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 17, 20260

    KARACHI: The Sindh Building Control Authority (SBCA) has approved only 1,039 public sale housing projects…

    Missing Iranian pilots deepen Iran-Qatar tensions

    August 17, 2026

    Disney unveils major movie and series lineup at ‘D23’ Fan Event

    August 17, 2026

    Lisa apologizes as BLACKPINK anniversary draws backlash

    August 17, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    22Media
    Facebook Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    © 2026 22Media. Designed by AleemSoft Hub.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?