Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    ‘Godfather of AI’ warns technology could leave millions jobless

    August 17, 2026

    Global condemnation of Israeli settler violence against Palestinians | Occupied West Bank

    August 17, 2026

    ‘Is she a commando?’: IHC judge asks over woman’s alleged assault on husband

    August 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Login
    22Media22Media
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Pakistan News
      • World News
      • Amazing News
      • Only On 22
    • Sports
    • Bussiness
    • Innovation
      • Health & Sciences
      • Technology
    • Culture
      • Crime & Justice
      • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Magazines
    • Weather
    • Video
    • Live
    22Media22Media
    Home»Culture»Crime & Justice»Nigeria’s northeast faces worst hunger in a decade as aid cuts hit region, UN says
    Crime & Justice

    Nigeria’s northeast faces worst hunger in a decade as aid cuts hit region, UN says

    22febdm@gmail.comBy 22febdm@gmail.comJanuary 17, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Thousands of people in Nigeria’s strife-torn northeast are facing the risk of catastrophic food shortages for the first time in nearly a decade, as aid cuts deepen malnutrition across the region, the U.N. World Food Programme warned on Friday.

    Around 15,000 people are at risk in Borno state, the agency said, an area already struggling with years of militant unrest.

    Across West and Central Africa, 55 million people are facing severe food shortages, with more than three quarters of the people affected in Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon and Niger, it added.

    The U.N. body did not pick out specific funding but agencies have been raising the alarm since the Trump administration started reducing aid as part of its “America First” policy last year, and Britain and others cut aid budgets to boost spending on defence.

    More than 13 million children in the region were projected to suffer malnutrition this year, the WFP said.

    Conflict, displacement and economic pressures have driven food insecurity for years, but cuts to humanitarian assistance were now pushing vulnerable communities beyond their ability to cope, the statement added.

    “The reduced funding we saw in 2025 has deepened hunger and malnutrition across the region,” Sarah Longford, WFP’s deputy regional director for West and Central Africa, said.

    Funding shortfalls in 2025 had already forced WFP to scale back nutrition programmes in Nigeria, affecting more than 300,000 children, after the agency warned that nearly 35 million people could go hungry as its resources ran out in December.

    Elsewhere, insecurity in Mali has disrupted food supply routes, leaving 1.5 million people facing crisis levels of hunger, while more than half a million people in Cameroon risk being cut off from aid in the coming weeks, the statement said.

    The U.N. agency said it needed more than $453 million over the next six months to continue providing humanitarian assistance across the region.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    22febdm@gmail.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Pakistan stocks end higher as KSE-100 gains 397 points

    August 17, 2026

    Rawalpindi registers 1,670 dengue FIR as crackdown intensifies

    August 17, 2026

    Disney unveils major movie and series lineup at ‘D23’ Fan Event

    August 17, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    Technology

    ‘Godfather of AI’ warns technology could leave millions jobless

    By 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 17, 20260

    Artificial intelligence could have a profound impact on employment, with AI pioneer Geoffrey Hinton warning…

    Global condemnation of Israeli settler violence against Palestinians | Occupied West Bank

    August 17, 2026

    ‘Is she a commando?’: IHC judge asks over woman’s alleged assault on husband

    August 17, 2026

    Selena Gomez attends Ariana Grande’s special Eternal Sunshine tour stop

    August 17, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    22Media
    Facebook Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    © 2026 22Media. Designed by AleemSoft Hub.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?