Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Field Marshal Munir to visit Tehran to continue ‘peace efforts’, says Iran

    August 23, 2026

    Britney Spears explains real meaning behind her viral dancing videos

    August 23, 2026

    Government extends passport office timings

    August 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Login
    22Media22Media
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Pakistan News
      • World News
      • Amazing News
      • Only On 22
    • Sports
    • Bussiness
    • Innovation
      • Health & Sciences
      • Technology
    • Culture
      • Crime & Justice
      • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Magazines
    • Weather
    • Video
    • Live
    22Media22Media
    Home»News»World News»US judge temporarily blocks Trump from firing Voice of America staff
    World News

    US judge temporarily blocks Trump from firing Voice of America staff

    22febdm@gmail.comBy 22febdm@gmail.comMarch 29, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    A view of the Voice of America (VOA) building in Washington, US, on March 16, 2025. — Reuters
    A view of the Voice of America (VOA) building in Washington, US, on March 16, 2025. — Reuters
    • Congressional approval to be “required” for rescinding funds.
    • This is decisive victory for press freedom, says attorney.
    • Oetken does not require VOA to resume broadcasts.

    NEW YORK: A federal judge on Friday ordered US President Donald Trump’s administration to temporarily pause its efforts to shut down Voice of America (VOA), stopping the government from firing 1,300 journalists and other employees at the US news service that were abruptly placed on leave earlier this month.

    US District Judge J Paul Oetken said in a Friday opinion that the Trump administration could not unilaterally terminate VOA and related radio programmes that were approved and funded by Congress. Rescinding funds for those programmes would require congressional approval, the judge wrote.

    Oetken did not require VOA to resume broadcasts, but his order made clear that employees should not be fired until further court proceedings could determine whether the shutdown was “arbitrary and capricious” in violation of federal law.

    “This is a decisive victory for press freedom and the First Amendment, and a sharp rebuke to an administration that has shown utter disregard for the principles that define our democracy,” said Andrew Celli, an attorney for the plaintiffs.

    The US Agency for Global Media, which oversees VOA, Radio Free Europe, and other government-funded media, did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Friday.

    The agency had told unions that it was about to terminate 623 VOA employees, a number that “entirely forecloses” any attempt to resume broadcasts at the level envisioned by Congress, according to court documents filed by the plaintiffs.

    VOA was founded to combat Nazi propaganda at the height of World War Two, and it has grown to become an international media broadcaster, operating in more than 40 languages and spreading US news narratives into countries lacking a free press. As a group, US Agency for Global Media employed roughly 3,500 workers with an $886 million budget in 2024, according to its latest report to Congress.

    VOA journalists and their unions sued the US Agency for Global Media, its acting director Victor Morales, and Special Adviser Kari Lake last week, saying that their shutdown violated the workers’ constitutional First Amendment right to free speech.

    The VOA employees’ lawsuit is one of four pending challenges to the Trump administration’s attempted shutdown of government-funded media programmes. Other challenges have been filed by Radio Free Europe, a separate group of VOA employees, and grant recipient Open Technology Fund.

    US Agency for Global Media had argued that it had not violated the laws that governed VOA’s operations. The agency said in court filings that it had reduced operations to a “statutory minimum” by restoring broadcasts in Cuba and reinstating 33 employees at the Office of Cuba Broadcasting.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    22febdm@gmail.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Nordic nations ‘have lost confidence in Infantino’, demand FIFA reforms | Football News

    August 23, 2026

    DR Congo miners risk Ebola to make a living | Ebola

    August 23, 2026

    Zelenskyy says wartime elections could ‘destroy’ Ukraine | Russia-Ukraine war News

    August 23, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    Pakistan News

    Field Marshal Munir to visit Tehran to continue ‘peace efforts’, says Iran

    By 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 23, 20260

    Iranian Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni receives CDF Asim Munir upon arrival in Tehran on May…

    Britney Spears explains real meaning behind her viral dancing videos

    August 23, 2026

    Government extends passport office timings

    August 23, 2026

    Nordic nations ‘have lost confidence in Infantino’, demand FIFA reforms | Football News

    August 23, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    22Media
    Facebook Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    © 2026 22Media. Designed by AleemSoft Hub.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?