Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Israeli drone strike on ‘civilian vehicle’ injures several in Syria | Conflict News

    August 22, 2026

    Govt fulfilled SC directives on Imran’s treatment, family committed contempt: Tarar

    August 22, 2026

    Pakistan end 16-year drought in Hockey World Cup with Japan win

    August 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Login
    22Media22Media
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Pakistan News
      • World News
      • Amazing News
      • Only On 22
    • Sports
    • Bussiness
    • Innovation
      • Health & Sciences
      • Technology
    • Culture
      • Crime & Justice
      • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Magazines
    • Weather
    • Video
    • Live
    22Media22Media
    Home»News»World News»China urges end to ‘illegal’ sanctions as it hosts Iran nuclear talks
    World News

    China urges end to ‘illegal’ sanctions as it hosts Iran nuclear talks

    22febdm@gmail.comBy 22febdm@gmail.comMarch 14, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Chinas Foreign Minister Wang Yi (C) welcomes Russias Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov (left) and Irans Deputy Foreign Minister Kazeem Gharibabadi before a meeting regarding the Iranian nuclear issue at the Diaoyutai State Guesthouse in Beijing on March 14, 2025. — AFP
    China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi (C) welcomes Russia’s Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov (left) and Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Kazeem Gharibabadi before a meeting regarding the Iranian nuclear issue at the Diaoyutai State Guesthouse in Beijing on March 14, 2025. — AFP

    BEIJING: China urged an end to “illegal” sanctions on Iran as it hosted Iranian and Russian diplomats on Friday for talks Beijing hopes will restart long-stalled negotiations on Tehran’s nuclear programme.

    The United States withdrew from a landmark 2015 deal, which imposed curbs on Tehran’s nuclear development in return for sanctions relief, during US President Donald Trump’s first term.

    The Republican president has called for a new nuclear deal with Iran since his return to the White House in January but Tehran says no such agreement is possible so long as punishing sanctions remain in place.

    The effort to secure a pact was given new urgency last month when the UN nuclear watchdog said Iran had significantly increased its stockpile of highly enriched uranium.

    Beijing hosted Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi and Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov for talks on Friday it said it hoped would help “resume dialogue and negotiation at an early time”.

    Meeting the diplomats, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi stressed “the comprehensive agreement on the Iranian nuclear issue is an important achievement achieved through dialogue and negotiation”.

    “Now the situation has reached a critical juncture again. We must buy time for peace, resolve disputes through political and diplomatic means, and oppose the use of force and illegal sanctions,” he said.

    And the US should demonstrate “political sincerity and return to talks at an early date”, said a statement from Beijing’s foreign ministry, which outlined propositions from China on the Iranian nuclear issue.

    “All parties should… refrain from actions that might escalate the situation,” the statement added.

    ‘Peaceful’ nuclear programme 

    Gharibabadi, in turn, hailed the “constructive” talks in Beijing and said Iran’s nuclear programme “is peaceful in nature”.

    “Our nuclear programme has never been diverted to non-peaceful purposes,” Gharibabadi said.

    “But unfortunately, some countries are trying to create an unnecessary crisis in this regard.”

    “The main root cause of the current situation is the unilateral withdrawal of the United States,” Gharibabadi said.

    The Russian and Iranian officials met China’s Vice Foreign Minister Ma Zhaoxu earlier on Friday and “exchanged views on the Iran nuclear issue and other issues of common concern”, Chinese state media said.

    Ma reiterated after that meeting China’s support for “political and diplomatic engagement and dialogue based on mutual respect”.

    “We emphasised the necessity of ending all illegal, unilateral sanctions,” Ma told reporters.

    “The relevant parties should work to eliminate the root causes of the current situation and abandon sanctions, pressure, and threats of the use of force.”

    Iran’s ambassador to China said later on social media platform X the meeting was a “complete success”.

    The talks resulted in important agreements on “trilateral cooperation on important international issues, including the need for the three countries to cooperate in confronting” US sanctions, he said.

    The Kremlin’s spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Friday that “it is necessary to further continue diplomatic efforts” on Iran’s nuclear programme, and condemned “illegal” sanctions against Tehran.

    ‘Maximum pressure’

    Trump has reinstated his “maximum pressure” policy of sanctions against Iran, mirroring his approach during his first term.

    He sent a letter to Tehran this week urging nuclear talks and warning of possible military action if it refuses.

    Tehran said the letter, which Trump said was addressed to Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, was currently “being reviewed”.

    “Ultimately, the United States should lift the sanctions,” Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said in an interview published by the government’s official newspaper on Thursday.

    Washington upped its pressure campaign the same day by imposing sanctions on Iranian Petroleum Minister Mohsen Paknejad.

    The US Treasury Department also blacklisted the owners or operators of vessels it said were engaged in transporting Iranian oil to China.

    A report by the UN’s International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) in February said Iran had significantly increased its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to 60% purity — a short step from the 90% needed for a nuclear weapon.

    Khamenei said this week Iran “does not have nuclear weapons” and was “not seeking” them. Tehran has long maintained that its nuclear programme is for peaceful purposes.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    22febdm@gmail.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Israeli drone strike on ‘civilian vehicle’ injures several in Syria | Conflict News

    August 22, 2026

    Indonesia bolsters troop numbers to combat Borneo wildfires | Climate Crisis News

    August 22, 2026

    Russian strikes kill 6 people in Ukraine, day after shopping complex attack | Russia-Ukraine war News

    August 22, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    World News

    Israeli drone strike on ‘civilian vehicle’ injures several in Syria | Conflict News

    By 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 22, 20260

    Syria condemns attack in southwest as a ‘flagrant violation of sovereignty’ and a ‘blatant breach…

    Govt fulfilled SC directives on Imran’s treatment, family committed contempt: Tarar

    August 22, 2026

    Pakistan end 16-year drought in Hockey World Cup with Japan win

    August 22, 2026

    Taylor Swift hosts secret promotional event amid ‘Debutation’ rumours

    August 22, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    22Media
    Facebook Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    © 2026 22Media. Designed by AleemSoft Hub.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?