Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Margot Robbie enjoys date night with Tom Ackerley in Paris

    August 20, 2026

    Gold prices surge in global and local markets

    August 20, 2026

    Excessive video gaming raises concerns over children’s daily lives

    August 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Login
    22Media22Media
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Pakistan News
      • World News
      • Amazing News
      • Only On 22
    • Sports
    • Bussiness
    • Innovation
      • Health & Sciences
      • Technology
    • Culture
      • Crime & Justice
      • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Magazines
    • Weather
    • Video
    • Live
    22Media22Media
    Home»News»World News»Israel new army chief Eyal Zamir says Hamas mission ‘not accomplished’ | Gaza News
    World News

    Israel new army chief Eyal Zamir says Hamas mission ‘not accomplished’ | Gaza News

    22febdm@gmail.comBy 22febdm@gmail.comMarch 5, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Outgoing military chief Herzi Halevi calls for a wider examination of the failures on October 7, 2023.

    Former tank commander Eyal Zamir has been sworn in as Israel’s new military chief amid growing uncertainty over the expired ceasefire in Gaza.

    Previously director of the defence ministry, the 59-year-old replaces chief of staff Lieutenant General Herzi Halevi, who resigned in January admitting he had failed to fulfil his mandate.

    At his swearing-in ceremony on Wednesday at military headquarters in Tel Aviv, Zamir said he was ready for the challenges ahead, noting that while “Hamas has indeed suffered a severe blow … it has not yet been defeated. The mission is not yet accomplished.”

    Speaking before Zamir, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel was “determined” to achieve victory in its war.

    Fighting in Gaza has been halted since January under the first phase of a multistage truce brokered by Qatar and Egypt and supported by the United States that has allowed the exchange of 33 Israeli captives and 5 Thai captives for about 2,000 Palestinian prisoners and detainees.

    But some Israeli ministers have warned that their forces could resume fighting if there is no agreement on bringing back the 59 captives that remain.

    Israeli troops have pulled back from some of their positions in Gaza but talks that were intended to agree on a second phase of the truce that would see the release of the remaining living captives and the full withdrawal of Israeli forces before an end to the war have not begun.

    Israel has called for an extension of the first phase truce until April to allow the release of the remaining captives, while Hamas has insisted on sticking to the agreement made in January, which calls for talks on a permanent end to the war, before agreeing to any more releases.

    Inquiries

    Zamir’s swearing-in comes as a series of official inquiries have begun to examine the Israeli failures that failed to prevent the Hamas-led attack on southern Israel on October 7, 2023. At least 1,139 people were killed in the attack and approximately 250 others were taken captive in one of the biggest military and security disasters in Israel’s history.

    Halevi led the military during the Israeli assault on Gaza that has killed more than 48,000 Palestinians and destroyed much of the territory, leaving most of the population sheltering in tents or bombed-out buildings.

    But he announced in January, soon after the Gaza ceasefire deal was agreed, that he would step down from his command, accepting responsibility for the military’s response to the October 7 attack.

    On Wednesday, as he handed over his command, he called for a wider examination of the failures on October 7, 2023.

    “The establishment of a state commission of inquiry is necessary and essential – not to place blame, but first and foremost, to understand the root of the problems and allow for correction,” he said.

    Both the Israel military and the Shin Bet security agency have acknowledged that their failures allowed the attack to take place, but Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has so far resisted a more general inquiry that would look at the responsibility of his government.

    The new commander will also have to respond to accusations from international bodies, including the United Nations, that Israeli troops committed war crimes during the campaign in Gaza.

    Israel rejects those charges, but it has indicted some individual reservist soldiers for severe abuse of detainees.

    Israel says Hamas, which has also been accused of war crimes by United Nations bodies, committed multiple atrocities during the October 7 attack and severely abused Israeli captives in Gaza. Hamas denies the accusations.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    22febdm@gmail.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Israel is betting on Islamophobia to save its standing in the West | Islamophobia

    August 20, 2026

    Syrian official says ‘no plans’ to establish Turkish military presence | Military News

    August 20, 2026

    How conflict is making life more expensive for Iranians | Inflation

    August 20, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    Entertainment

    Margot Robbie enjoys date night with Tom Ackerley in Paris

    By 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 20, 20260

    Margot Robbie enjoys date night with Tom Ackerley in Paris Margot Robbie and Tom Ackerley proved…

    Gold prices surge in global and local markets

    August 20, 2026

    Excessive video gaming raises concerns over children’s daily lives

    August 20, 2026

    Israel is betting on Islamophobia to save its standing in the West | Islamophobia

    August 20, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    22Media
    Facebook Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    © 2026 22Media. Designed by AleemSoft Hub.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?