Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Bangladesh signals openness to joining Pakistan-Turkiye-Saudi Arabia defence pact

    August 22, 2026

    Dolly Parton fulfills 40-year-old dream despite health setbacks

    August 22, 2026

    Bangladesh signals interest in Makkah Defense pact

    August 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Login
    22Media22Media
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Pakistan News
      • World News
      • Amazing News
      • Only On 22
    • Sports
    • Bussiness
    • Innovation
      • Health & Sciences
      • Technology
    • Culture
      • Crime & Justice
      • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Magazines
    • Weather
    • Video
    • Live
    22Media22Media
    Home»News»World News»13 missing after Tunisia migrant boat disaster as Europe-backed crackdown intensifies
    World News

    13 missing after Tunisia migrant boat disaster as Europe-backed crackdown intensifies

    22febdm@gmail.comBy 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 22, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    A Tunisian national coast guard helps a migrant child get off a rescue boat in Jbeniana, Safx, Tunisia, April 23, 2022, in this screen grab taken from a handout video taken April 23, 2022. — Reuters
    A Tunisian national coast guard helps a migrant child get off a rescue boat in Jbeniana, Safx, Tunisia, April 23, 2022, in this screen grab taken from a handout video taken April 23, 2022. — Reuters
    • Two people were rescued, with one in critical condition, officials said.
    • Boat set off early Thursday, according to migrant rights group chief.
    • One survivor said they were stranded at sea for hours after boat capsized.

    At least 13 Tunisians are missing after a migrant boat sank off the Tunisian coast while sailing towards Italy, and two people were rescued, the head of a migrant rights group said on Saturday.

    The boat set off early on Thursday, Mostafa Abdelkebir, the head of the Tunisian Observatory for Human Rights, told Reuters.

    One of the two survivors told rescuers in a local boat they had been stranded at sea for hours after their vessel capsized. The second survivor was in critical condition, said Abdelkebir, whose group monitors migration issues.

    Tunisia was once a major departure point for migrants crossing the Mediterranean, but departures have fallen sharply over the past two years amid a crackdown and tighter maritime controls, backed by European funding and modern border-monitoring equipment, particularly from Italy.

    Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International and dozens of other human rights and humanitarian groups said in a statement last month that the EU-Tunisia migration deal had fuelled and normalised serious abuses against migrants and asylum seekers in Tunisia.

    The groups called on the EU to suspend funding for migration and border-control activities involving Tunisian security forces.

    Tunisia has not commented on the statement but has repeatedly said it is bearing the brunt of a major migration influx. President Kais Saied said in 2023 that the influx was aimed at changing the country’s demographic makeup.

    The central Mediterranean route is one of the world’s deadliest migration routes, used by migrants from Africa and the Middle East seeking to reach Europe, often in overcrowded or unseaworthy boats.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    22febdm@gmail.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Somalia child hunger crisis deepens after aid cuts, UNICEF says | Hunger News

    August 22, 2026

    Washington targets Iran’s lifelines as Tehran vows ‘crushing, punishing’ retaliation

    August 22, 2026

    China’s new moon mission could unlock secret of lunar ice: Why that matters | Space News

    August 22, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    Pakistan News

    Bangladesh signals openness to joining Pakistan-Turkiye-Saudi Arabia defence pact

    By 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 22, 20260

    A member of Bangladesh Army patrols in front of a temporary camp, after the army…

    Dolly Parton fulfills 40-year-old dream despite health setbacks

    August 22, 2026

    Bangladesh signals interest in Makkah Defense pact

    August 22, 2026

    Somalia child hunger crisis deepens after aid cuts, UNICEF says | Hunger News

    August 22, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    22Media
    Facebook Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    © 2026 22Media. Designed by AleemSoft Hub.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?