Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    ‘Bold and important first step’: Trump hails Pakistan-KSA-Turkiye defence pact

    August 17, 2026

    Hayden Panettiere dead: ‘Heroes’ star breathes her last at 36

    August 17, 2026

    Rare Pallas’s cat captured on camera in northern Iran mountains | Show Types

    August 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Login
    22Media22Media
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Pakistan News
      • World News
      • Amazing News
      • Only On 22
    • Sports
    • Bussiness
    • Innovation
      • Health & Sciences
      • Technology
    • Culture
      • Crime & Justice
      • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Magazines
    • Weather
    • Video
    • Live
    22Media22Media
    Home»News»World News»Scammer defrauds Italian businessman of €1m using AI voice
    World News

    Scammer defrauds Italian businessman of €1m using AI voice

    22febdm@gmail.comBy 22febdm@gmail.comFebruary 12, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    The image shows an illustration with English letters A and I written and robotic hand is shown. — Reuters/File
    The image shows an illustration with English letters A and I written and robotic hand is shown. — Reuters/File

    MILAN: Italian authorities have successfully frozen nearly €1 million (£870,000) after a prominent businessman fell victim to a sophisticated scam involving artificial intelligence. 

    Officials revealed on Wednesday that the funds, which were transferred to a foreign bank account, were part of a scheme where fraudsters used AI to impersonate Italy’s Defence Minister, Guido Crosetto.

    Fraudsters used AI to mimic the voice of the minister, making calls that claimed to seek urgent financial assistance for the release of kidnapped Italian journalists in the Middle East.

    Some of Italy’s most prominent business figures, including fashion designer Giorgio Armani and Prada co-founder Patrizio Bertelli, were targeted, prosecutors in Milan said earlier this week. However, only Massimo Moratti, the former owner of football club Inter Milan, was believed to have sent the requested funds.

    Officials said they thought it would be hard to retrieve the missing funds, but on Wednesday they revealed the cash had been traced to the Netherlands.

    “I’m very pleased that the money fraudulently taken from an entrepreneur, using my falsified voice and name, has been traced to a Dutch account and completely frozen,” Crosetto said on X. “Excellent work by the magistrates and the police forces.”

    There was no immediate comment from Moratti, who had transferred two payments totalling almost one million euros, under the mistaken belief that he would be reimbursed by the Bank of Italy, sources familiar with the case have said.

    Moratti filed a legal complaint last week after realising he had been duped. “It all seemed real. They were good. It could happen to anyone,” he told Italian daily La Repubblica at the weekend.

    The scam involved fraudsters posing as officials from the defence ministry, with calls that appeared to originate from government offices in Rome. They then passed the phone to a man they said was Crosetto, who asked for money, saying the government could not be seen to be behind the transactions.

    The defence minister has said they used AI technology to convincingly simulate his voice.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    22febdm@gmail.com
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Rare Pallas’s cat captured on camera in northern Iran mountains | Show Types

    August 17, 2026

    Zambia incumbent takes early election lead as opposition alleges armed raid | Elections News

    August 17, 2026

    Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in country’s history | Ebola News

    August 17, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    Pakistan News

    ‘Bold and important first step’: Trump hails Pakistan-KSA-Turkiye defence pact

    By 22febdm@gmail.comAugust 17, 20260

    US President Donald Trump delivers remarks at David S Mack Center for Training and Intelligence…

    Hayden Panettiere dead: ‘Heroes’ star breathes her last at 36

    August 17, 2026

    Rare Pallas’s cat captured on camera in northern Iran mountains | Show Types

    August 17, 2026

    Harrison Ford becomes first-ever model for Indiana Jones Disney animatronic

    August 17, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    22Media
    Facebook Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
    • Home
    • Politics
    • News
    • Magazines
    © 2026 22Media. Designed by AleemSoft Hub.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?